Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice for Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice for Ribs

What's going on. Going to a baseball game and tailgating this saturday. making a few racks of baby backs. My plan is to smoke the ribs in the morning, pulling them off before noon. We'll probably get to the stadium and start cooking around 2pm, which is when I'll flash them on the grill with some sauce.

If I wrap them in foil and put the ribs in a cooler will they lose any moisture? Curious if anyone has had to do this and what tips there might be to maintain the highest quality. Thanks!

Should be just fine. I do that at home all the time, Wrap them in parchment paper, foil and a heavy towel and into a cooler.
    You can heat the cooler with some hot water for about 10 minutes. Pour the water out before putting the ribs.
    Can hold them hot for at least 3 hours.

Out of curiosity, why baby backs and not STL/ spares?

Comment

• 6th Borough BBQ
      6th Borough BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Ditto on both parts of this response I just discovered STL this year and haven't looked back!

• LA Pork Butt
      LA Pork Butt commented
      Editing a comment
      One more vote.

Welcome bkalinka

Comment

bkalinka, you will be fine with that plan. Do you have an indirect zone on your grill at the tailgate? If so, you may try an indirect reheat there, so the bark can firm back up before you sauce. I work hard to figure out how I can keep all that yummy bark on the meats. Have fun and post some pics!

Comment

Welcome to fun and learning! I think you have a solid plan. Good luck and post pictures.

Comment

I like to put a wire rack in a service pan or foil pan, then lay the ribs on the rack. Then I cover it with foil and place in a oven or large cambro. This keep them from turning mushy in the foil. I have had great success with this method in the past, even when I hold them for hours.

Comment

Welcome from Indiana

Comment

Wow, thanks for all the responses. To answer few questions:

1. No particular reason why I chose baby backs. STL would take a little longer and I'd rather not get up another hour earlier, haha.

2. Not sure what the tailgate setup will be, I'm not providing the grill.

also, great idea on heating up the cooler. I never would have thought of that. Hopefully I'll remember to take some pictures.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here