Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first Perfectly Pulled Pork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first Perfectly Pulled Pork

Hi all!

This is my first time here, so firstly hello!

On Sunday I attempted PPP for around 10 people. Following the advice of Spinaker I got my coals going at 5am, aiming for about an 8 hour cook.

I guess this post is mostly just to say "Look, I did it! My first pulled pork!"

It turned out brilliantly. Very happy guests, and even a round of applause! Thank you Meathead , for clear, descriptive instructions and recipes. I was definitely champ for a day.

In order to improve, I'm trying to keep a record of what I did. Here's what happened, followed by a few pics and video of the pull:

--------------------------
    Date: Sun 14-May-17
    What: 3kg (6.6lb) bone-in pork shoulder (skin removed) (Village butcher), £20.
    Meat prep: Removed most of fat cap. Dry brine on Friday night. Memphis Dust 6 hours before cook (last thing before I went to bed on Saturday).
    Kettle prep:
    Standard Slow n Sear setup
    10-12 lit coals in corner
    Unlit coals to fill rest of basket
    Foiled rest of charcoal grate
    Drip pan under meat
    3 chunks apple wood, + 2 more during cook.

Cook:
    Meat on at 5:30am, maintained kettle at 230-270F (getting better!), cooked for around 4.5 hours (10am) until centre hit 160F and stalled. Let it go unwrapped for 2 more hours to develop bark. Wrapped in foil at 12:30 and kept in kettle for another hour or so (pushed kettle temp to about 350F). Transferred to oven at 325F for final 1.5 hours until centre hit 203F at around 3pm. Total cooking time 9 hours. Rested for 1 hour. Pulled at 4pm. Poured drippings back over.

Result: 9/10
    Bone pulled out cleanly. Meat pulled apart very easily. Lovely pink smoke ring. Great flavour. Next time I might add a touch of bbq sauce to drippings and mix over/into meat.
    ​
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image_38459.jpg Views:	1 Size:	86.3 KB ID:	319513
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image_38460.jpg Views:	1 Size:	91.5 KB ID:	319512
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image_38462.jpg Views:	1 Size:	92.7 KB ID:	319511
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image_38461.jpg Views:	1 Size:	100.8 KB ID:	319514

Last edited by denhamcoote; May 17, 2017, 03:10 AM. Reason: Added video

Nice job, love to see some pics!!! Makin' me hungry, here!
    Welcome to th' Pit, from here in Kansas Territory!

Comment

Welcome to the pit denhamcoote !

What a great success story! Glad everything went well. I can't seem to view the photos though, could you Edit your post and see if they can be added correctly?

Either way, since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:

Give us an email address you actually use. You can check the email we have on file for you by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab. You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, we’d be happy to change it for you. PM (private message) ”Huskee” with your email change request, or via email at [email protected]

Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Thank You for the support!

Comment

• denhamcoote
        denhamcoote commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Henrik!

I've done my homework, updated my signature, and my email address is correct... All systems go!

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Excellent!

I can't see the pictures but it sure sounds good! Great job with the detailed notes and Welcome to fun and learning!

Comment

Nice Job!

Comment

Can you guys see the pics now?

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, looks amazing!

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, thank you for postin' them!

Yesssss!!!! Tremendous. Good job.

Comment

I can see them. Welcome to the Pit.

Comment

Great photos of a great-looking cook. Congrats, denhamcoote !

Kathryn

Comment

you will be glad you joined - great site the keeps getting better - welcome. you will find that you can, with some practice do pulled pork as good or better than you can get in most, if not all, restaurants....big advantage is you get to use the rub and sauce you like best

Comment

Yelnoc
                  Indeed! I did a topside joint a few weeks ago, for about 3 hours. That was practice session #1. This very forgiving pulled pork was #2, and I'm working my way up to a 12 hour brisket. Gotta get my temperature control honed before I attempt that, but I am looking forward to it and will certainly report back!

Comment

Looks great! Welcome to the pit!

Comment

Rock on, dude! Made some a couple weeks ago. Only the wife and I eating it ... just finished it today. Made sandwiches, fajitas, and breakfast burritos with it.

Comment

Beautiful!!

Comment

Proper BBQ right there, well done!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here