Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Homemade Salt Pork Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homemade Salt Pork Question

I picked up a pork belly yesterday, primarily to make the Filipino dish called tocino (Why is it that Filipinos don't live in the Filipines?). Anyway, there's a lot to a pork belly, so I figured I"d also make salt pork and freeze some. Looking online, I note a lot of recipes call for sugar and spices that don't seem to be used commercially sold salt pork--or at least aren't noticeable to my palate and eyes.

Do any of you make salt pork and, if yes, any thoughts or recommendations?

My grandad salted his pork -- he slaughtered two hogs a year -- but I only helped him once and can't remember any details of the cure. I hope you find out.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      Google "how to make salt pork". Lottsa hits. Even one from Serious Eats. I'ld
      Trust that one.

HorseDoctor That is what I did and why I asked the question. The additional of ingredients beyond salt seems superfluous to me, but I'm hoping someone can weigh in with a yea or nay--and a rationale.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      Just a matter if you want salt pork, or salt pork + a lil sumpthin extra. Just use straight salt and you'll have straight up salt pork. All good!

Just as an aside, tocino is Spanish for bacon. However, in the Philippines the type and cut of meat used can vary considerably.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here