Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Tuscan Ribs...pre-salt the night before?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Tuscan Ribs...pre-salt the night before?

I love cooking ribs and...my QQ is this: Do you salt the ribs the night before? Typically I use rubs and put the salt on the night before, then have the rub on for various amounts of time. With the marinade - should I do that or are the 2 tablespoons you add to LT's salad dressing doing the job?
    Last edited by Chris_Ryan; November 15, 2014, 09:58 AM.

How far ahead to salt depends largely on the thickness of the meat. Pork shoulder definitely needs to be done the night before, but ribs really only need to be done two hours ahead.
    Therefore: the salt in the marinade will do the job. Since dry-brining ribs overnight doesn't really do much more than an hour or two of it, 1-6 hours in the marinade will be plenty to have the desired effect.

Comment

For this recipe he simply says to add the dressing (which has some salt in it) + 2 Tbsp table salt to the bag and soak 1-6hrs. In this case, this is all the salt necessary for this particular recipe. That extra 2 Tbsp is in effect all the brining we need here.

I do like Keith and dry brine my traditional smoked ribs only an hour or two before smoking. For that recipe, I notice little difference in going longer.

Comment

you guys rock. thank you!

Comment

I definitely notice a difference going longer than an hour or two with ribs on dry brining. I got some right now with Kosher salt that will get a 12+ hour brine.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here