Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking Pork Shoulder Vs. Boston Butt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking Pork Shoulder Vs. Boston Butt

Smoking 2 9-10# pork shoulders and a 17# brisket for 60-70 people next month for my daughters high school graduation. My question is I have smoked boston butts prior to this exclusively. Any tips or advice on a picnic vs. boston butt?

I really haven't seen much difference. And I've done a mix of both a couple of times. Just pay attention to the right time to pull them.

Comment

• Iron Bulldog
      Iron Bulldog commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks EdF didn't think there would be but worth asking since I haven't done one before. Gonna run em about 10hrs on the Traeger at 200-225 and finish with wrap in the wife's oven. Thanks

Tying the picnic up to create a uniform shape helps keep it cooking even. It's tricky because you can lose some bark if you go overboard with the twine when you cut it off. Other than that it really comes out great once it's pulled.

Comment

• Iron Bulldog
      Iron Bulldog commented
      Editing a comment
      Had not considered that but makes sense. Thank You!

Sometimes people use the term pork shoulder to describe a Boston Butt and other times they use the term,Pork shoulder to describe a picnic. When I hear shoulder the first thought that comes to mind is Boston Butt. In my experience they cook about the same. However, the picnic usually has a thick layer of skin and fat which I remove before cooking. I have never cooked a boneless picnic and have just cooked it as if it was a Boston Butt. If your Butts come out fine I am sure the picnic will also. The only difference I have found is the picnic is a little drier. I found the same to be true with lamb.

Comment

• Iron Bulldog
      Iron Bulldog commented
      Editing a comment
      Duly noted LA that is what I was looking for since I have NO previous experience with picnics. I am going to do an Al Pastor with it anyway to diversify tastes so any dryness should not be a problem. Gracias!

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Save that skin to make pork cracklins' !!

Thanks Thunder77 those cracklins will NOT be served to the masses ima keepin em for meself!!!!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here