Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first full kettle cook (Sweet & Sour Pork)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first full kettle cook (Sweet & Sour Pork)

I bought my first charcoal grill a few weeks ago, and so far I've just been reading/researching and doing dry runs (and seared some steak that I cooked sous vide). Now that tax season is behind me, figured it was time to try something new. Settled on Meathead's Sweet and Sour Pork Tenderloin with the D.C. Mumbo Sauce (http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porkn...sour_pork.html). Thanks to everybody who's provided help directly or indirectly via the forum here to get me started!

1. First, I trimmed the meat. Pork tenderloins from Costco.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	307366

2. Next step was to open up a beer. Settled on the Summer Ale from Fremont.

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	307365

3. Next, I set up the grill, using the snake method other's here have helped me with.

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	307360

4. Meat to grill. My temperature was too low, so as I waited for things to warm up, I ordered the Smoke 'n Sear Plus. I want to improve my temp management skills and knowledge, but sometimes you just have to spend the dollars on a shortcut.

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	307362

5. I started the veggies on the kettle, but things were going too slow, so put them on gas to speed things up and free up the coals for the pork:

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	307359

6. Whoops, overdid the pineapples a bit!

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	307361

7. Meat off grill. By the time I was comfortable that every part of the tenderloins had hit the recommended 140, most of it had hit 160 or even a bit higher. Cooking with the lid off, I was a bit worried it wouldn't cook evenly, or that there might be cold spots on the meat, so I went conservative. Hopefully over time I can get things dialed in and gain confidence.

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	307357

8. Chop the meat up:

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	307363

9. And put it all together! I don't know if I've had pork tenderloin before, so I don't have much to compare it to. But it was delicious, and despite being cooked 20-30 degrees above the recommended temperature, it was very tender! There's much to improve on for next time, it definitely wasn't perfect, but it was most definitely a success!

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	307367
    Attached Files

Sweeet!

Comment

Cooking to temperature... the Thermapen is your buddy. Use it in the thickest part of the meat, don't worry about the other sections of the meat. If your meat, based on Meathead's chart, says it needs to cook to 140°, I would suggest pulling it at 137°. You have to factor in the carryover cooking your meat is going to experience after you pull it off of the direct heat.

You've learned a lot on this cook. Over/under cooking your meat is what most of us do/did before joining the Pit. Now you know. Get a Thermapen.👍

Nice looking dinner you cooked there...👍

Comment

• dustbuster
        dustbuster commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the tips!

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        What Breadhead said, Otherwise your method has madness ... and wisdom too! Welcome!

Beautiful!

Comment

Great cook!!!!

Comment

That's a fine looking cook and a nice write up. Thanks for sharing! When I look back at my cooking logs and photos from my first cooks I see plenty of mistakes and remember how far I've come with the help of all the great folks here. Most of my early cooks were still way better than local restaurants. Keep cooking, learning and have lots of fun!

Comment

Great lookin' food, nice, thorough tutorial!
            Learnin' can be so much fun, an' tasty, too!!!

Comment

Thanks for the nice writeup and the great photos.

Kathryn

Comment

Congrats on a successful cook. This is just the beginning. If you are up to a long cook, I suggest a pork butt with MMD next. If not a long cook, then some chicken with S&G rub. The butt should be in the area of 225* to 275* and the chix should be 325* or hotter.

Comment

• dustbuster
                  dustbuster commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for the suggestions, those both sound really good and doable!

Good job on the cook! You won't regret the SnS. It feels like cheating, but it's much more than a hack. It's a well designed tool that will provide so much versatility to your kettle. I tend to wish that Weber would just offer this as a kit with each kettle (and give @ABCBBQ Dave a boatload of cash in the process.)

Comment

• dustbuster
                  dustbuster commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks, I'm eagerly looking forward to the SnS arriving!

Good choice on the beer! You from around the Seattle area?

Nice looking meal. I tend to cook pork up to about 160, and have had no issues with tenderness/juiciness. Cook to whatever (safe) temperature suits you.

Comment

• dustbuster
                  dustbuster commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks! I'm just north of Bellingham, so about two hours north of Seattle. Lots of great beer up here!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here