Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
See more
See less

PKB's Adventures in Pork Shanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Potkettleblack
    Club Member
    • Jun 2016
    • Beautiful Downtown Berwyn
    • Grill: Grilla Original / Weber Genesis EP-330 / OK Joe Bronco Drum
      Thermometers: Thermapen / iGrill 2 / Fireboard
      For Smoke: Chunks / Pellet Tube / Mo Pouch
      Sous Vide: Joule / Nomiku WiFi (RIP Nomiku)
      Disqus: Le Chef - (something something something) - it changes

PKB's Adventures in Pork Shanks

It started with this:
    https://www.chefsteps.com/activities...ney-glazed-ham

I made it for annual gift giving day, reducing the salt a bit because my wife has high blood pressure and I've had some misadventures with salt in 2016. I did not take pictures of the final result, because it wasn't pretty, like Chef Steps. It was okay.
    Benefits: The texture of the meat was INCREDIBLE.
    Cons: The flavor of the meat was meh (due to salt). The glaze did not work as described. Probably due to the salt. I had some ugly shanks that I got from the butcher.

I made shanks again, modifying the Chef Steps process a bit. I brined in a modified Blonder Brine (straight Blonder, plus liquid smoke, plus a sprinkle of prague. It sat in the brine for two days, and on day two, I had a bit of a panic, as Blonder is 6.6%, and adding the prague, might've pushed in to 6.7 or 6.8%. The ChefSteps brine is in the 4% levels, so I wigged, and soaked em in plain water for a day. Instead of the oven, I put them on my newly cleaned grill (does anyone else notice that the first thing they cook after doing a thorough grill clean is always something really fatty/drippy/sticky that will return your grill to what it was before the cleaning... or is that just me), 250-300 (I messed up the smoke... I know how I messed it up, won't do it again), until IT got somewhere between 149 and 165. I glazed at 145, with honey, ACV and tabasco. then seared. I got this:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	18033040_10211788124808846_7169258603980535935_n.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	306250
    Pros: Texture of the meat was INCREDIBLE. In places, the skin was nice a crisp. Berkshire pork incredible fat.
    Cons: Undersalted again (next time, going 4-5% brine, 2 days, hell or high water), some skin didn't crisp at all, sloppy scoring.

This pulled from the bone with a fork and no pressure.

I have two more Berkshire shanks in the freezer, so:

Next time: Brine 2 days, Blonder Brine reduced to 4.5%, plus liquid smoke. Same time temp (149FX48H), make bigger scores so I can make them neater, roast on the grill, smoke one hour, standing on bone end, glaze that thing with straight honey or grade B maple, crank to roast at 450 until skin is crisp, possibly rotating every five minutes. I will nail this dish. The meat texture is too amazing to not get this done.
  • Jerod Broussard
    • Jun 2014
    • East Texas
    • Pit Barrel Cooker "Texas Brisket Edition"
      Weber One Touch Premium Copper 22" Kettle (gift)
      Slow 'n Sear for 22" Kettle
      Weber One Touch Premium Black 26" Kettle (gift)
      Slow 'n Sear XL for 26" Kettle (gift)
      Weber Smokey Joe Gold
      Weber Rapid Fire Chimney
      Vortex
      Maverick ET-732 White
      Maverick ET-732 Copper
      2- Auber SYL-1615 fan systems(Awesome!!!!!!!!)
      Thermoworks Thermapen w/ Back light (gift)
      Thermoworks Timestick
      Cambro Model 300MPC110 w/ Winco SS Pans
      B & B and Kingsford Charcoal
      B & B Pellets

The salt wouldn't be a problem. The word "shank" and the fact my wife never heard of it would be plenty.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Pork Knuckle, pork shank, Stinco, schweinshaxen, low ham... all the same thing. Amazing when you get them right.
  • EdF
    EdF
    Club Member
    • Jul 2016
    • Atlantic Highlands, NJ
    • Uuni Pro (new kid in town)
      Karubeque C-60
      Large BGE since 2002 + plate setter + pizza stone + upper grid + stainless paella pan for drippings (the best!)
      TEC Cherokee FR since 2014 (portable infrared grill - does a mighty sear)
      Polyscience Sous Vide Pro since 2012 (wasn't much else available in those days)
      Thermapen
      Thermapen Air
      ThermaQ (or its predecessor)
      Thermoworks Hi temp IR
      BBQ Dragon & Chimney of Insanity
      Various other stuff

Hmn, wonder if that will work with the "hocks" I've got in the deep freeze. Keep us posted!

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      A hock is roughly just a smaller portion of the shank. I think it'll work out. There also seems to be a regional aspect to it, though my shanks came through the BKLYN at some point.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Boss. We rediscovered them last weekend, and are thinking about repurposing them.
  • Bukowski's Burnt Ends
    Club Member
    • Apr 2017
    • Fremantle WA
    • Kit:
      GMG Davey Crockett
      Everdure Fusion by Heston
      BeefEater 4 Burner 3000E Signature Series
      Homemade Tandoor
      Homemade Woodfire Pizza Oven
      Oregon AW133 BBQ Thermometer
      Anova Sous Vide
      Kogan Sous Vide
      Fav Beer: Red Stripe (cans only)
      Fav drink : Laphroaig neat

I done two of these recently after spotting them in the 'weird, wonderful, slightly intimidating German butcher' near me. Picked up these and some odd half size pork ribs. Both were lovely, more 'hammy than 'porky if that makes any sense whatsoever. Never brined them at all but scored and salted the outside fat. Sorry only post carve photo! Will need to retry with your full blown method. Looks great.
    Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
    See more
    See less
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}