Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Green pork shoulder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Green pork shoulder?

I bought pork shoulder Tuesday night. Got home and cut the fat off, and salted it to dry brine in the fridge. Wrapped it up and pulled it out today to smoke but it looks like portions of it turned green. Is it safe to cook?

Post a picture and use the sniff test. Was it fresh at the store? Packing date, anything like that you can tell us? Only salt, no rub?

Comment

Did you rinse off the shoulder?

Comment

I opened it and drained the blood. It is a Smithfield, and looks like it was previously frozen when I bought it. Can't remember the dates on it but I always make sure the sell by date is after I cook it. Didn't wash it off, and only salted it, no rub. I also used more salt then normal on it too. I just patted it with a paper towel and some of the green came off.

Comment

My wife (a chemist) thinks it is just a reaction to copper in the blood. My phone won't upload the photo either. Arg!

Comment

It's a St. Paddy's Day ham...

Comment

I've had various meats ( pork, beef and lamb) turn green after a long SV at low temps .. Never been a problem but I've never noticed it on refrigerated uncooked meat. Does it smell OK?

Comment

I thought it smelled ok, my wife did too.

Comment

I'm assuming this wasn't already cured from the above? If that's the case, the smell would give you a "distinct" and unmistakable indication. Of course, I have a pretty well-developed gag reflex.

Comment

In the last pair of pork butts I did, in one of the butts, one small area (about the size of a quarter) under some fat that had I trimmed away looked greenish after it was salted. It stayed an odd color with respect to the rest of the meat even after the cook. I tossed that little chunk out as I pulled the pork at the end of the cook. Those butts are long gone now, and nobody in the family died, if that gives you any peace of mind, rip1877 .

The meat had been purchased at Sam's Club the day before, well before the best by date, so they couldn't get much fresher for the average shopper. It was their Member's Mark brand.

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here