Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Simple but really good!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple but really good!

So, one of the rare things to see is the Y REALLY going to make sure he gets the last drop! I think I hit a home run with this nice, simple little meal. no pics, I apologize but I didn't expect it to be anything special. and it's not, but it's GOOD.

couple of pork chops, those paper thin loin slices, with a spoonful of Apricot jam and about a tablespoon of butter, a light dusting of salt and pepper and into the sous vide.

Fire roast a large, meaty sweet pepper. I wish we'd had a red or yellow but Green will do. roast over the gas flame (or grill) until the skin is ba\lack all round, peel under cool water, then core and chop fairly small.

When you're about 20-30 minutes out, we put a couple of cups of milk and a tablespoon of butter in a saucepan and heated to just under a boil, small bubbles around the edges. a bit of salt & pepper and 1/8 - 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper, depending n your heat preferences. while whisking, slowly add in 1 - 1/2 cup of yellow cornemeal, whisking all the while to make certain it's nice and smooth. once the cornmeal is in, add in a nice, full flavored cheese. again, whatever you like, we like Asagio. let that melt in and add the chopped peppers, a little salt & pepper to taste. once that is nice and smooth, put a lid on it and set is aside. you don't want it to dry out and lump up.

pull your meat from the bath, take it out of the bags, reserving the cooking juices and pat dry, and get your skillet creaming hot.

put the chops together in your tongs and start by setting them on edge, together, to render off and crisp up the fat side. when that is nice and brown, sear each side for 30-45 seconds each for a nice, even brown sear.

pull out the chops and plate. while the Y was plating the meat and polenta, I made the pan sauce. about 1/2 cup of nice, sweet port win. this will pull up your fond as well as cool the pan to a good sauce temp. let the wine reduce down to a good thick, then add in the bag juices, another tablespoon of Apricot jam and a couple of table spoons of tomato, sauce, or chopped will do but I really wish I had the full flavor of a paste on hand.

whisk the pan sauce without stopping so your sauce won't break. you can enrich it with a little more butter at the end but if you had butter in the bag, you likely won't need it. whisk until thickened and nicely reduced, salt & pepper to taste and pour off into ramekins. it should be a good thickness to hold onto the meat but still drip a little.

It's just a siple polenta and pan sauce but the Y Seemed to really like it. He is usually not that into the sauces but he ate all he had this time, putting the last bit onto the last few bites of polenta to finish the meal.

the pan sauce was pretty well on the sweet side but the apricot gives it a nice acid zing and brightness. I'll make the same sauce with a merlot instead of port and add in some sauteed onion & Garlic for beef. I like a little more balance to the sweet when I am having beef.

all in all, a really simple 20 minute dinner (not counting sous vide time) that goes over really really well.

now, its time to get that shoulder dry brined to go on the smoker tonight ad it'll be BBQ to kick off April tomorrow!

DO try pan sauces. they pull the whole meal together and make the most of all the flavors you have. and sauces, once you learn the knack of keeping them moving as they reduce, are super simple and a great way to make sure your everyday meals are always outstanding!

Oh, and don't forget, any time you make polenta, always intentionally make extra. it is fabulous for breakfast. take your left over polenta and one egg per person. beat the egg well, then blend with the polenta. you can cook some bacon or sausage like ground beef and mix into the polenta or cook it separately and eat it on the side.

but, mix the egg with the polenta, then put them in a nice hot skillet like little patties with butter and fry up. makes an AMAZING breakfast!

Comment

That was a very awesome recovery, Master! What was your SV temp/time?

Comment

• Karon Adams
        Karon Adams commented
        Editing a comment
        I usually do pork at 133 in the sous vide for at least 45 minutes. that gives me a nice tender chop. yes, you want to get to 135, those last two degrees are easily gained when you sear.

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, Ma'am!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here