Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st cook for guests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st cook for guests

My wife invited a co-worker and her husband for dinner next weekend and she said I'd do pulled pork. Up to this point everything I've done has just been for the 2 of us, but this is the first time cooking for guests.

I've done one pork butt so far and used pecan pellets on a Blaz'n Grill Works Grand Slam. It turned out nice but I can't say there was ton of smoke flavor to it.

I ran out of the pecan so my choices are: oak, apple, cherry, a little bit of hickory, or mesquite. I'm going to pretty much rule out the mesquite, especially never having used it and I don't want to end up in a restaurant because I ruined a pork butt.

I'm leaning towards oak, and either apple or cherry in the Blaz'n Smoker (like the A-Maze-N tube smoker) for some added smoke. I'd also appreciate any advice as to how long to leave the Blaz"n Smoker going? 2-4 hours, the whole cook?

Any thoughts or advice on the pellets to use for the cook ?
    Thanks much.

I would go with oak and apple. I can't taste the difference between apple and cherry but I know cherry usually makes whatever I'm cooking a lot darker

Comment

Hickory!!!

Just did another batch of sausage running just hickory. Out of this world smoke flavor....

I would also put it on the top rack.

You get the extra grates with that smoker, or the insulated lid???

Comment

Start with hickory, add fruitwoods to taste.

Use th' Smoke Tube dealy, as well, my opinion. I would, certain...

Before long, Everybody will want yer butt(s)
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 1, 2017, 02:17 PM.

Comment

ssandy_561: are you suggesting mixing the oak and apple (50/50 ?) in the hopper or put oak in the hopper, and apple in the Blaz'N Smoker?

Jerod P Broussard I don't think I have enough hickory for the 9.25 lb. butt, which I'm guessing will take about 11 hours if I don't crutch it. I could cut some time off if I did foil it and put it in the cooler, but I'm nervous about starting with hickory and running out. The other thing is I have to drive about 45-50 mile to get pellets so that's not going to be an option before next weekend. If you had a second choice, what would it be? Or if I used the hickory for the majority of the cook, which one should I add in to finish it off?
          I did get the top rack with it, and the insulated lid, not sure what you mean about extra grates? It has the "roller grates" - what a great invention.
          Sorry for all the rookie questions, but why would the top rack be better and what does that do to the time? I was planning to run about 235 -- thoughts ?

Thanks Mr. Bones, I've got a few days until I have to decide which one to use. I appreciate your suggestions.

Comment

I agree with Jerod about starting with hickory. Out of the woods you listed (save mesquite) hickory will have the strongest smoke flavor.

Use it in the beginning because cold meat takes the most smoke so this is where you will get the most bang for your buck. You can use your apple or cherry to finish it off when you run out of hickory.

When I do use my pellet cooker it is often a pellet mix that I use. Usually Hickory or Pecan mixed with Apple or Cherry. Basically mix a hardwood and a fruitwood. Usually I mix around 50/50. Definitely not precise... A scoop of this and a scoop of that.

Enjoy. I'm sure it will turn out great. Don't stress by over thinking the pellet flavor thing. It will be fine.

Comment

Flat Rocker as Nate stated don't over think the pellets and also the cook, go with what you know and learned and everything will fall into place and be fine. Wont add anymore suggestions for the cook part you already got great advice , my only one would be is to make meatheads coleslaw to go with it, always a big hit with the pulled pork when i make it

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here