Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are country style pork ribs just slabs of Boston butt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are country style pork ribs just slabs of Boston butt?

Just went to get a Boston butt. First place that is usually a lock for carrying boneless Boston butt, trussed nicely, didn't have any. Second place that is an even bigger lock for carrying bone in pork shoulders also didn't have any. Clearly annoyed the butcher said come and see....

So he showed me country style pork ribs bone in and boneless. Said they are Boston butts just cut into what I would think of as "country style ribs". So I got 7 lbs of boneless w real nice fat that you can SEE so I chose carefully.

Is is that what they are?

Yup.....

Comment

For the most part.

Some places like Wal-Mart will make them out of pork loin and say so on the label, however the wifey when picking up country style ribs may and will not pick up on that.

Comment

Yep, and they good on the grill too

Comment

I swear, country ribs are probably my most favorite thing to cook!! So much you can do with them. I have probably cooked the BBQ PitBoys recipe below a thousand times.

Comment

You got it man! Nothing butt.........hehehehe

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          lame...lame....lllaaammmmeee......

Well I'm going to do them in the CIDO. Even though I'm decided I'm a bit peeved I'm not doing them on the egg. I wanna cook. I got sofrito from the meat place I go to which caters primarily to Spanish speaking customers, and I'm. It one of them. That's the guy that gave me the lo down on cihntry style pork ribs. Not too familiar w it but the ingredients are familiar.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0138.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	216.6 KB
ID:	298779Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0139.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	298778
        Attached Files

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks yummy! Let us know how th' CIDO does...

Lonnie mac, Thanks for Your Post👍👍👍👍👍! I haven't watched much if any of "the bbq pit boys" before now, I believe I will start! Besides they have chin feathers too so they have to Know How to BBQ❓
        Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Mr. Bones as requested here's a status check.
          Spinaker the CIDO is gurgling away.

So the the batch of country style ribs as they look mid cook. I seared them and added chicken stock, white wine, Dijon mustard onion chunks, sofrito, and lots more garlic.

Mini whole potatoes went in w one hr left. Gonna hit it w a little corn starch and chicken stock mixed for last 20 mins. Then it will be game on.

Pics don't look anything like it smells in my kitchen. More to come.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0144.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	227.0 KB
ID:	299238Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0146.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	218.0 KB
ID:	299239

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Looking good. I can just imagine smell from here!

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Already mouth-waterin' good lookin'!

I'm late to this thread, but I make my own sofrito then pour it into a zipper freezer bag, flatten it out and freeze it. When I want a couple/few tablespoons, I wack of a chunk or two with a cleaver or large chef knife, thaw and use. Keeps practically forever. I use it in all kinds of l
          hispanic dishes and it adds a very authentic flavor. I will post a recipe.

Comment

From Amazing Ribs; Country-style ribs (a.k.a. Country Ribs). Country-style ribs (a.k.a. Country Ribs). Country-style ribs are not really ribs. They are really pork chops, more meaty and less fatty than real ribs, and should be cooked like chops, not ribs. They are cut from the front end of the baby backs near the shoulder and a tray of country-style ribs in the grocery store might contain a rib or two but more than likely they there will be a section of shoulder blade. Because they vary in size and thickness, they are hard to cook to an even doneness. Depending on how they are cut, a serving will be one or two country ribs. For big hungry men, perhaps three. They respond well to brining before low and slow cooking.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here