Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fresh ham butt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fresh ham butt

We're going to give this thing a try on the 26 inch Weber using the Slow n Sear, one of my fresh ham butts I just pulled out of the deep freezer, I'm going to try something different a wet brine. I'm going to have to search through the archives to see which one I like best. I like simple and easy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1490898597080-1611859423.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	296869 I guess I'll have to wait till it defrosts first

Comment

Is it "ham" or "butt"? I ask this because typically the term "butt" actually refers to the front shoulder (more like the chuck on beef), whereas "ham" is the actual butt, the rear leg/thigh. In either case, a wet brine will be mighty fine! I like to wet brine loins & loin chops, I think it adds something special to pork roasts & chops.

Comment

I accidentally posted the picture of it because I'm still learning how to use this website on my cell phone as I don't have a computer, I'm going to try to share a picture of what my meat processor wrapped it in and how it was labeled, this is from some of the pork that I raised myself. I'm not sure all of it maybe a fresh ham but each one that they sliced for me was labeled different, one is labeled this way some of the other ways they're labeled are fresh ham picnic, another one says fresh ham roast, if I'm not mistaken it all came off of one big ham and I asked him to check the ham in quarters, each quarter is off the same ham but each quarter is labeled differently.Click image for larger version  Name:	1490899796168-30376721.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.87 MB ID:	296879

Comment

I've had this on the grill now for a couple hours it's running in Click image for larger version

Name:	1491090713144-2115862066.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	298533 a steady 230 ,235 degrees. Internal temperature is around a hundred and eight degrees so far everything's going good, I'm taking my time not in no hurry I have all night. By the way for those that are wondering why I waited so late to cook I work at night and sleep in the day so when I grill most of the time or slow smoke I do it at night time.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Great picture, Jimmie!!!
            Anticipation....

We'll be looking forward to your result!

Comment

I do a rotating shift but do most of my low and slow when I'm switching from days to nights. That and brewing beer. Good way to pass the time when the family is asleep!

Comment

• lonnie mac
              lonnie mac commented
              Editing a comment
              I got to where I brewed all my beer at night also. This Texas heat, and my Brutus Ten blaring in the garage was just too much!!

Yeah, I am also. I'll be sure to post a picture of the final product. I did this with regular table salt with iodine for about 36 hours, I washed it completely off and then added Memphis dust and let it rest for about eight hours and then placed it on the grill.

Comment

I am doing some experimentation some things I've never done before. I love to experiment with my food even if it's a failure I'll be sure to post it so others can learn from my mistakes

Comment

• lonnie mac
                lonnie mac commented
                Editing a comment
                That's good brotha! I too have made my share along the way. We learn.

It's 1 a.m. in the morning and everything is cooking low and slow, I'm in the middle of a stall at a hundred and sixty-three degrees internal temperature of the meat, the grill is still running at a steady temperature of 235 degrees I'm in no hurry I have all night or should I say all morning, lol

Comment

I hope you're taking pictures of your cook, Jimmie Rhoden . Sounds like you're having fun with it. That's what it's all about.

Kathryn

Comment

• Jimmie Rhoden
                  Jimmie Rhoden commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm taking my time, I've always heard that great things are never rushed, and yes I will have pictures of the final product

I'm rooting for you if you're still up. I've got the next night off and have a pastrami planned.

Comment

• Jimmie Rhoden
                  Jimmie Rhoden commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm still awake and she still cooking low and slow this stall has lasted for five hours she'll pull out of it I'm not in no hurry, I work a night shift and sleep during the day time so I can stay up to wee's early of the morning and it's no big deal for me
                  Last edited by Jimmie Rhoden; April 2, 2017, 03:05 AM. Reason: For more information

I have done wrapped in aluminum foil about an hour ago and the charcoal starting to die off, I'm using my Weber grill with the SNS and I'm using the cheapest brand of charcoal that Walmart sells and I am really surprised it has lasted this long without having to add anymore, I've been cooking so far since about 5:30pm, it is now 4:09 a.m. Alabama time. I was thinking about taking it off and putting it in the oven and finishing it off but I think I'm going to add a little more charcoal there's a little bit of water still in the trough but I think I'm just going to top it off and finish it all out with the S n S. I'm not sure why my charcoal lasted this long maybe it's the weather because with this cheap brand of charcoal from Walmart it usually never last more than 8 hours so I'm totally blown away that it's lasted this long maybe it's because it's the cool of the night.

Comment

Is 5:01 a.m. in the morning here in Southeast Alabama, this pork finally decided to break out of the stall it's up 174 degrees now internal temperature of the meat I just sat back and waited patiently I didn't have to do anything it broke out on its own I can't wait to taste this meat I will have pictures later.
                  Last edited by Jimmie Rhoden; April 2, 2017, 04:35 AM. Reason: A correction, my auto correct misspelled some words

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	1491131914827-44276029.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	278.7 KB
ID:	298765 she's finally done this is the end result of a long night and early morning, and it tastes absolutely fabulous. After a few hours of sleep now I'm going to do some sweet potatoes wedges and asparagus on the Grill and we'll eat good tonight.

Comment

• Steve Vojtek
                      Steve Vojtek commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That looks great! Good things happen to those who wait they say...

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here