Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cooked pork tenderloin, vac-sealed... good in fridge for how long?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooked pork tenderloin, vac-sealed... good in fridge for how long?

A couple of weeks ago (probably edging up on three this Sunday, actually) I cooked a nice pork tenderloin in my PBC. It was delicious, but there was a lot left over. I vacuum-sealed it with my FoodSaver, and threw it in the bottom of my fridge for later in the week. It subsequently got pushed to the back of the shelf and forgotten about.

I just found it, and I'm wondering just how safe it would be to eat? The color looks fantastic, almost like a food model picture in a magazine (well, in the bag at least, as I haven't cracked the seal yet).

I can't Google up any real safety info on cooked pork. It's about 10" long, one piece, cooked to just under FDA-approved (basically 5-7F over cooks/Meathead's recommendation).

Thoughts? (Other than, "Hope you like pooping!")

I'd eat it. My fridge is set very cold, and I regularly eat cooked things several weeks old.
    My fridge will frost stuff in some areas. Yours may be different.
    IMO. Cooked? Vac Sealed? Should be good to go.

Comment

Here is my standard answer about is something safe to eat: Feed it to your MIL. If she survives, it should be safe.

Comment

• abandonedbrain
        abandonedbrain commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, but the hassle of the funeral, if she doesn't make it... ehhhhh... maybe not worth it.

That is a hard question to answer... It depends on the temperature of your fridge really. Just a few degrees can make a big difference. I regularly use milk many days ( up to ten) past the 'use by' date but I keep my fridge very close to 32f and in some places lower.
      Some people may tell you to use your nose as a guide but the problem is that some pathogens will not alter the smell or taste of food - that is why so many people get foodpoisoning... If they smelled or tasted bad food they wouldn't have eaten it..The bad smell and flavor of food is usually caused by food spoilage bacteria which is not always harmful to us. Think yoghurt - sour cream buttermilk and fermented foods etc...It is the undetectable pathogens you really need to worry about.
      It also depends on the person. If someone is imunocompromised ( like really young children or old people or someone who has an illness compromising their immune system etc) they will not be able to handle as much exposure to pathogens as a healthy person.
      As you can see there is a lot of variables involved to say for sure... Ultimately its up to you but as far as I'm concerned ... If in doubt throw it out...
      I've done a lot of reading about this subject mainly because I use SV and want to be safe...especially since I cook for other people as well and do not want to make anyone sick...
      ​​​

Comment

• Danjohnston949
        Danjohnston949 commented
        Editing a comment
        Steve, You have my Vote Here! The unknowns here are a bit troublesome, Was the Loin Stuffed? Were any Sauces or
        Vegetables used? Loins aren't that Expensive Generally! I would throw this One and Use the Freezer Next Time!
        From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

• abandonedbrain
        abandonedbrain commented
        Editing a comment
        Now I've got a new problem: there's no WAY I'm ever going to touch leftovers again without thinking of @dtassinari's "spittle" comment! Thanks?

• Steve Vojtek
        Steve Vojtek commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree Dan
        For leftovers freezer is your best friend unless you know you'll use them promptly...

I'd say it's not worth the risk. Yes, you vac-sealed it, but you had it knocking around at room temp for a while between the actual cook and when you sealed it: it might have been in contact with boards, plates, forks, raw sides, people's hands and flying spittle, and who knows what, so in a sense it was "dirty" when you sealed it.

That is assuming you took it up to pasteurisation temp and time in the first place, but if you like your tenderloin on the pink side of medium it wasn't ever pasteurised to begin with. And yes, smoking is used to make foods safe for storage, but that assumes curing/dehydration; it might just have saved this piece, but I wouldn't count on it.

A piece of meat cooked in a bag, cooled quickly directly in the bag and stored below 2C/36F would definitely keep for a couple of weeks, especially if brined, but pork fat starts smelling hammy very quickly and I'm not keen on that.

My 1/50th of a dollar is to toss it and take this as a reminder to check your fridge more often

Comment

• Steve Vojtek
        Steve Vojtek commented
        Editing a comment
        Absolutely correct dtassinari
        According to Douglas Baldwin a pouch pasteurized in a SV bath and quickly chilled can be held below 36.5f for up to 90 days. Sounds scary but he knows his stuff. So 2-3 weeks should be fine. But it only applies to an unopened pouch pasteurized using SV..

OK, OK, so though I am normally of fairly stout digestive capabilities, I'm going to play it safe and toss it without even opening it up. Not gonna be tempted!

Of course, that just means I need to stop by the store tonight and grab another couple of loins, as they're on sale again!

Thanks for the sanity check, friends!

Comment

• Danjohnston949
        Danjohnston949 commented
        Editing a comment
        Unless You have a Good Dog or a Useless Cat, You are doing the RIGHT THING! IMHOP

• PBCDad
        PBCDad commented
        Editing a comment
        Hahahahahaha Danjohnston949, is there another type of cat?

• Danjohnston949
        Danjohnston949 commented
        Editing a comment
        PBCDad, NIMHOP !

Good choice. I'm happy to read that..

If you have a moment or few you may want to have a read of this:

It is mainly aimed at SV cooking but the information about pathogens applies to all kinds of food preparation. Especially the part about pathogens growing even at refrigeration temperatures. Personally I toss any leftovers that have been in the fridge more than 3 days and always reheat till hot. For long-term storage I use the freezer. I know I'm being way too cautious but people have been known to die of food poisoning - its not something to play around with.

I know people in the past had no refrigeration and people in third world countries do not have access to the same food hygiene most of us have but consider this: Most of us have grown up in sanitary conditions and our immune system has not developed sufficiently to cope with large amounts of pathogens. If we ate some of the street food in some countries we would surely get sick whereas the locals don't.

Be safe mate....

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here