Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reheating left-over Butt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reheating left-over Butt

My pulled pork butt off the PBC is great! But, when I freeze and warm it up later, it is dry and just not as good. Methods I have tried: 1) Wrap in aluminum foil and heat in oven with a little Q sauce; 2) Warm in a stove-top pot with a little Q sauce and sometimes a little water (this leaves it tasting like boiled meat; 3) Microwave on low with/without/ Q sauce, water; 4) Cussing it. Who out there has a better idea? Thanks, Jim Burgin

I store mine in multiple ziploc freezer bags, and just microwave in the bag. I have never had it come out dry.

Comment

IMHO, a vacuum sealer is the key to reheating frozen Q. Before we got our sous vide gizmo, we would freeze and vacuum seal the pulled pork. Then we would go straight from the freezer to a boiling pot of water until it was heated all the way through. Make sure your pulled pork isn't dry when you freeze it (add some broth if necessary). Now that we have a SV we use the same procedure, but the SV makes sure we don't overheat/dry out the pork.

Comment

• Lowjiber
        Lowjiber commented
        Editing a comment
        I vacuum seal my left over butt and throw it in the SV to warm up. Works great.

I vacuum seal in single size portions than reheat in a pot of hot, not boiling, water in the sealed packages. So far no problems. I have also added a little butter to the portions prior to sealing.

Comment

First, you need to collect and save the drippings. Then either remove the fat or not - your choice, but the fat will seem to add moisture. Add the juices back to the pulled pork before serving or freezing - again, your choice. Freeze in zipper bags or vacuum bags either in meal sized portions or serving size portions. I prefer vacuum bags because their is less chance of water leaking back into the meat. You can heat either in hot water or the microwave, but I wouldn't heat in the microwave in the bag because any fat in the bag can melt the bag if heated too hot.

At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I enjoy a Carolina Vinegar Sauce on my pulled pork. After I pull the pork I pour the sauce on it. I stir the pork and sauce several times before it gets to cold so all the pork is covered. The next morning I vacume seal the pork. As others I put it in hot water to warm back up. Always comes out moist and flavorful.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	266.0 KB
ID:	281134

Comment

Some good ideas here. I'm probably too lazy to put them in individual servings size bags but that seems the best idea plus the SV. I guess I'll have to try that. Generally i'm just putting the leftovers in tacos so I don't mind if it's a little drier than the original since there will be a sauce and lots of goodies in the taco too. I work from home mostly so a couple of pork tacos for lunch is fast a delicious.

Comment

Thanks one and all. I'll try. Jim Burgin

Comment

A crock pot with some sauce in the bottom and an occasional addition of a few TBS' of water and a bit more of sauce on top works really well.

Comment

I also vacuum seal and then drop the bag in a pot of hot (not boiling) water for 8-10 minutes. i've never had an issue!

Comment

Leave the pork shoulder intact after cooking and resting. Then cool it in the foil. I preheat the crock pot on high, Then put the pork in the pot. (without the foil) I pull it in the pot then add about a half a cup of water. Then put the lid on. Turn it over about every 20 until heated to 165 F. This work really well for me. This morning it was great. The office was happy anyway!

You can also use SV but that will affect the bark on the surface.
                    Last edited by Spinaker; February 27, 2017, 03:05 PM.

Comment

• EdF
                      EdF commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I'll bet you meant "the not yet pulled pork".

• Spinaker
                      Spinaker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Corrected! Thanks Brother! EdF

I pull and vacuum-freeze in 1 lb portions. That way I can reheat and use for tacos, posole etc. for just the two of us. If you have an Insta-Pot (electric pressure cooker), add the pulled pork at the end of a cook (whatever recipe you're using) and let it just heat through.

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here