Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking bacon question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking bacon question

So years ago i saw the best looking slab i have ever seen it was a double smoked slab and a beautiful golden brown. Reading on here with you ladies and gents doing souse vide cooks then giving it a ice bath then throwing it on the cooker for flavor started my old withered brain thinking. I do t do sv so i was thinkimg could i make the bacon smoke it throw it in tbe fridge to cool it off then resmoke it again ? Anyone see a problem with this im not a big bacon person but want to make some for a couple of birthday gifts with me being the guinea pig this time

I don't know. This is an interesting approach. And I like it.
    I guess if you could get the meat down in temp as fast as possible from the first smoke. I would take it off, throw it in a bag and shock it. Then put it in the fridge. You wanna get that temp down as fast as possible.

Comment

I'm with Spinaker ... bag it then shock it in an ice water bath. If there is enough room, I routinely put the whole bowl of ice water and bagged protein in the fridge where it can rest comfortably for as long as needed before resuming the cooking process.

Comment

Sounds well worth an experiment!

Comment

From what little I know, too many times from cold to hot-hot to cold times adds up to letting the bacteria get a hold so make sure you start out with something not likely to have made that trip before, I like the idea!

Comment

Just get (or make) a smoke generator and use that for a few hours before progressing to the final hot smoke/cook. That will give the extra "double smoke" flavor if that's what you're looking for. Be careful and use a nice mild smoke like apple. It is possible to have too much or too bold smoke (hickory) and end up with a bitter product.

Comment

That's actually a very good idea!
              Being a cured piece of meat i wouldn't worry about the bacteria issue much - the salt and sodium nitrite will keep them at bay. Just follow Spinnaker's recommendation of rapid chilling ( you can never be too careful ) and you'll be OK. But I have to agree with HorseDoctor that you can oversmoke - good idea to be the guinea pig first.

​​​​​​​There is another option to get extra smoke on the bacon: cure, freeze and smoke from frozen.

Comment

Well let the experiments begin just pick up a 9lb side slab

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here