Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

curing bacon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

curing bacon

I tried he simple bacon recipe twice.
    Both times te bacon came out too sweet and not salty.
    I guess I should leave out the brown sugar.
    Should I increase the kosher salt and/or increase the cure time?
    Thx

Dan

I'd just add incrementally more kosher salt. Instead of 4.5 tsp maybe try 5 or 5.5. Cut the sugar back buy a third let's say. I wouldn't change anything with cure time and definitely don't change the nitrite.

Comment

• Milnerair
      Milnerair commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok, I will try that.
      Thx

Yeah back off on the sugar, incrementally. As Huskee said. One other thing to make sure your doing is picking up the brine, daily, and mixing the ingredients around. Message the meat to make sure that your mixing the ingredients up through out the brine process.

Comment

This is the first time I have heard anyone say that the bacon did not suit their taste. I know everyone has different tastes, so I wonder if anyone else thinks this recipe is too sweet or not salty enough?

Comment

Originally posted by RonB View Post
        This is the first time I have heard anyone say that the bacon did not suit their taste. I know everyone has different tastes, so I wonder if anyone else thinks this recipe is too sweet or not salty enough?
        I found the "simple" (plain) bacon to be sweeter than I thought it'd be, but to me this was good since I like sweet pork. Regarding the salt, I found it neither too salty nor not salty enough, and I like salt....so I'd say for me personally the salt level was spot on. Compared to storebought, it's much less salty, so if a person loves your typical storebought bacon they'd likely think this isn't salty enough I suppose.

Comment

the bacon recipe on this site isn't very good. it used to be better before they came out with the curing spreadsheet and re-wrote the recipe. i made ~7lbs of the blandest bacon i have ever had. i actually have to salt the bacon AFTER it's smoked for it to taste normal. who ever heard of having to salt bacon?

Comment

I added some jalapeno and burbon and it cut the sweet real nice

Comment

• Steve Vojtek
              Steve Vojtek commented
              Editing a comment
              I love the idea of bourbon.. Maple syrup and bourbon love each other....I love to make bourbon and maple syrup caramelized onions - so awesome...Makers mark ! I will have to try it on the bacon ...thank you for the idea !... Much appreciated!...

I also found the recipes needing a little more salt, a little less sweet.

Comment

I use a slightly different recipe than this site (Rhulman's) and like the results. In any instance, you can decrease the sugar to decrease "sweet". If you want saltier, maybe cure a little longer, or don't rinse as long or completely between curing & smoking steps.

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                I haven't made bacon since I encountered this site. But Ruhlman's book was my go to when I was making it more often. I like all three of the recipes, the one for pancetta, and I think I also got the guanciale recipe I've used there. Try that last one sometime - cured pork cheek is unbelievable.

I cannot comment on the current recipe I use the maple bacon recipe I printed out two years ago... You can always increase the salt - it inhibits bacterial growth the more the better - and you can also decrease the amount of sugar it is there for flavor - to balance out the salt....Do it in increments until you find your 'perfection'...You can cure longer without harm ( I have cured for two weeks sometimes ) it won't do any harm but I have not noticed a saltier result..just my opinion...Do not leave out the sugar completely - it will be toooo salty..,..unless thats what you want...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here