Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Couple loin questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couple loin questions

I haven't done many of these. Dry brining right now, then plan to douse in memphis dust and straight up smoke at 225.

What is everyone's preferred IT?

How about wrap and rest? Yay...nay?

I don't cook pork loin often, but check out the first three articles in this search.

Comment

LOL, thanks for the link. "Pork loin" search was the very first thing I did. Read through most everything. I guess my problem today is that I just can't make up my mind.

Comment

Loin is too lean for me to smoke. Guess that is why so many get stuffed. The stuffing part was neat to do.

Comment

This is definitely not my favorite thing to smoke. Jerod, you are right on.....too lean for smoke. Live and learn. It turned out pretty good though. Suppose I'd rather smoke a loin than nothing at all.

Comment

Doin' a loin t'day. I dry rub them, then wrap with 4-5 slices of thick cut bacon. Usually comes out excellent.

Comment

I had bought a ~7 lb Smithfield Pork Loin from Costco and couldn't decide what to do, so I finally cooked it tonight. Split into 4 pieces and did 4 different rubs: Memphis Dust,a Garlic/Cumin/Cilantro kinda Cuban thing, Jerk, and a rub with a garlic/onion/cumin/ancho/coriander base [these latter 2 recipes had sugar which I replaced with Stevia). Grilled them on the kettle in the 275-325 range for most of the cook. They all came out moist and all were good if different. Tomorrow I'll finish slicing them up and FoodSave them for lunches and dinners.

I'd post photos but mine come out too small.

Comment

I'm going to do a 2 lb 6 oz loin today - 1st time on the kettle. Will inject it with Meathead's recipe and that's it. No dry brine, no rub, no smoke. Really just testing injection by itself. I'll cook around the 325 range using a Vortex - centered.

I'll let you know if I end up sleeping on the couch.

Comment

• Medusa
                  Medusa commented
                  Editing a comment
                  OK, so I'm going to back peddle and rub 1/2 the loin with a Cook's Country recipe. Used it (and their marinade) on previous cook on the gasser.

Now we'll be able to test injection only & injection / rub. Oh boy, oh boy, OH Boy!

I cook loin to 150 IT. Let it rest for 10 -15 minutes, slice and serve. Juicy and tender.

Comment

So here it is...

Click image for larger version

Name:	BNLS_Pork_Loin_111114.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	31114

Notice that the left half has been rubbed while the right half remains bare. Used 2 oz of Meathead's Pork Injection. Absolutely the juiciest meat we've ever eaten - #1 says don't change anything. I'd rub the entire thing the next time, mebbe try some Memphis Dust.

Cook time was 1 hr 20 min between 333 - 340 degrees. Meathead says about 30 minutes for each inch of thickness so this was pretty spot-on for estimating cook time. (Still experimenting with lower vent control... trying for the magic 325... exhaust was FULL the entire time from preheat to finish.) Pulled it @ 142 IT - tiny bit of pink in the center of the thick end.

No couch tonite - thanks to this great website and all that contribute!

--Ed

Comment

• smarkley
                    smarkley commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yummy!

looks good on both ends

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here