Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help!

Wanting to make some Canadian bacon to go with the pastrami I'm making, I bought a 20 quart Stainless steel pan from amazon and planned on doing it tonight. I received the pan today opened it up(nice looking pan and lid) grabbed a magnet it stuck to everything but the handles. Paper included with the pot says cookware is designed exclusively for cooking, not for storing food. Food that is stored in the cookware for a longer period may affect the surface and take on the taste of metal. What would you do

Hate to tell you this, but your going to have to find another vessel to do this in. I would try to find a food grade plastic container. Having your food taste metallic is not something you want. Sports supply stores are good for these. Its still early enough to go out and get one. I don't know what you have around you but find a Cabelas, Gander mountain, REI etc, something like that. They will have sections for making jerky, and that what you want. That is where I would go tonight. Good luck man. Let us know what you end up doing.

Comment

In the very short term (as in for tonight) you could get some very large (jumbo) ziplock bags in which to brine the meat. Use the pan to carry the sealed bags ... or not ... then return those pans ASAP while waiting on your new plastic container(s) (I'm fond of Cambro brand) to arrive from Amazon.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        This is a better idea. customtrim

• Danjohnston949
        Danjohnston949 commented
        Editing a comment
        Great Minds! One Ditc
        From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

customtrim, I think to get out of a Bind I would line the kettle with a Large Freezer Bag! If You can get them locally? You kettle won't dent as bad as a 100% Aluminum! Hope this Helps!
      Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

If you have a restaurant supply store in your area, they will likely have what you need - in food safe plastic. Of course, that won't help with tonight.

Comment

Thanks everyone wont be using it thats what i was afraid of

Comment

Here you go - if you have a deli or a bakery, see if you can score a used 5 gallon bucket (or few). Get the lid too. They're food safe (heck, they used to have bavarian cream or pickles!), the lid seals well, and cheaper than a restaurant supply place. I used to grab them a bunch at a time and sell them at the local flea market. I use them for storing flour, dried fruit, rock salt (for the snow season - store it outside and doesn't clump), wood for smoking, and so forth.

Comment

• RonB
              RonB commented
              Editing a comment
              Fast food restaurants also have those 5 gal buckets. You may be able to score one there.

• HorseDoctor
              HorseDoctor commented
              Editing a comment
              Those buckets are also available at any big box "hardware" store such as Lowes, Menards, Home Depot, etc... Cheap & all food safe plastic.

All taken care of got a new 2 gallon glass container from anchor hocking, new real 3 gallon stainless pot and 3 brine bags as back up, going to be some of the most expensive Canadian bacon I know of. Thanks for everyone help

Comment

If you have a brew supply store near you they also have great containers for storing grains and such

Comment

• customtrim
                customtrim commented
                Editing a comment
                Brewmaster I live in the sticks in the woods might be a old still around with someone running it

So these are my new curing containers 2 gallon $11.46 each at wally world all glass made by anchor hocking in the usa i bought 2 one for pastrami the other for my Canadian bacon Click image for larger version

Name:	20170210_173503.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	273540

Comment

Just curious, why not just use a ziplock bag?

Comment

Dr ROK Well hell i don't know. My original intention was to find a stainless steel pot with a steamer but now everything is cheap steel with a bottom attached for induction cooking. So when i saw these i figured no more problems except i still dont have the steamer but i think i can rigg something up

Comment

I used a stainless steel mixing bowl for my first batch of Canadian bacon, and everything came out fine. It was in the brine over two weeks. Now I just use a food grade plastic container.

Comment

A place that I get food buckets is at a donut shop. I real donut shop. Not crispy creame or such but a mom and pop donut shop. They sell em for a dollar a bucket with lids at my donut place. Just look at the flavor you want. Vanilla, maple etc. I use em for not only storing food but for deer feeders also. They have em for the cream filling.

Comment

Another option would be a turkey roasting, (well, actually steaming I guess), bag. Use them to line just about any container, and they are cheap compared to a large ss pot.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here