Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Char Siu Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Char Siu Ribs

I'd be lying if I said I made these for Chinese New Year. I didn't even know it was CNY until I'd logged into the site earlier today. Well it was a good theme for the day and a really nice change of pace.

Out of necessity I made a couple of changes to the recipe. The biggest change was that I didn't use food coloring in the marinade. My 9 year old daughter has been using all the food coloring lately because she's obsessed with making slime and play doh. She offered me pink but I figured that'd be a little weird... I had some fermented bean curd in my fridge (well i'm 99% sure it was...there was no English on the bottle) so I used that instead. As you can see from the pics the color was not the vibrant red like MH's pics. I cranked up the heat a little with some hot sauce I brought back from Belize. This was a nice touch - noticeable heat but not overwhelming at all. The last little change was that I sous vide the left over marinade for a couple hours at 190. Then brushed that onto the ribs and seared them over direct heat after they'd cooked indirectly for 3hrs.

I made some spicy black bean baby bok choy and Thai coconut rice to round out this Pan-Asian meal. All in all, very tasty.

Click image for larger version

Name:	spice brine.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	234.4 KB
ID:	268644Click image for larger version

Name:	fermented bean curd.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	222.2 KB
ID:	268649Click image for larger version

Name:	Belizean hot sauce.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	210.7 KB
ID:	268645Click image for larger version

Name:	on the Primo ready to cook for 3 hrs.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	246.5 KB
ID:	268646Click image for larger version

Name:	3 hours indirect.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	244.7 KB
ID:	268647Click image for larger version

Name:	platter of ribs.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	215.7 KB
ID:	268648Click image for larger version

Name:	plated Char Siu.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	214.4 KB
ID:	268650

Maria Sharps is the bomb!!! Love that stuff. I went to the factory when I was in Belize. Its still a very small bottling operation. But its like the national sauce in Belize. Like Belikin Beer.

Comment

Spinaker I brought a 6 pack of various kinds back. So frickin' gooood.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah find it in weird places. I found some at Ace Hardware, of all places.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Me three. I think we should all jus' retire in Central America, where we can cook out year-round, in comfort. Jus' a thought. I so seldom have thoughts, I jus' gotta share when it happens! ;-)

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Those are fantastic photos and a great write up. Mr. Bones - are you suggesting a time share? Rules - when you leave no one cares about the bed being made or the towels washed. However, no ash left in the Q.

Beautiful!

Comment

That's a great looking cook.

Comment

Excellent!!

Comment

JCBBQ those ribs look (an' sound) good enough t' eat! Fine Job, that!!!

Comment

How'd you like them?

Comment

• JCBBQ
                JCBBQ commented
                Editing a comment
                I liked 'em. It's not a flavor profile i'm going to want very often but it made me realize I've got to stop making Last Meal Ribs every time and try the other recipes.

Somebody had a very happy new year!

Comment

• JCBBQ
                JCBBQ commented
                Editing a comment
                Definitely! And now my Chinese New Year's resolution is to go make all the other ribs this year. Great recipe as always Meathead. Thanks.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here