Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freezing Cryovac Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freezing Cryovac Ribs

recieved my Costco executive rewards certificate today and bought a bunch of stuff I didn't need
    also bought several ribs for the weekend, I only planning on using 4 out of the 6 ribs which brings to this question. What is the food safe way of storing the ribs for another day in the freezer if the cryovac was opened? Thanks guys!

Kind of assuming you don't have a vacuum sealer, which would be the preferred method. Freezer (butcher's) paper or freezer quality ziplocs from which you remove as much air as you can, are probably reasonable substitutes. It's been a long time since I haven't had a sealer, so I can't be particularly definitive. In the latter cases, you probably don't want to leave them in there more than a couple of months.

Comment

I was looking at the vacuum sealed today!!! The ribs will probably be used in the next couple of weeks if not next weekend. So the butcher paper, just wrap them up and stick them in a freezer?

Comment

• HorseDoctor
        HorseDoctor commented
        Editing a comment
        I would wrap in plastic wrap first and then either freezer paper or foil. That way you'll be good for a couple months if need be.

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        What the HorseDoctor said! And yeah, pick up a vac sealer - many uses!

I would freeze and I think you will enjoy them on the next cook.

Comment

If you plan to cook in the next couple of weeks you would be good with whatever method you normally freeze meat with. Any longer than that and I would cut them in half and use a large zip lock bag. You can solve all of those problems by buying the vacuum sealer (I have the Food Saver) from Costco. The drawback to that method is that you buy way more meat than you ever intended to and have to go on a cooking marathon like I'm on right now to clear space.

Comment

• lschweig
          lschweig commented
          Editing a comment
          tbob4 So how is that a problem?

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          lschweig - It's a problem because I wanted to eat some tri-tips but my wife said I had to go through 4 pork tip steaks, 8 chicken breasts, some fajita meat and marinated lamb before I can stock up again. I'm getting close!

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          It's a sad thing, eh tbob4 ?

Thanks everyone for the tips, I'm going to buy the vaccum sealed tomorrow.

Comment

What HorseDoctor said...

Comment

My wife fied me in on the weekend schedule Saturdayfriends baby shower: pulled pork and crack n. Cheese. Sunday NFC championship game: 6 racks of ribs 😈

Follow up question does a rib rack reduce the amount of smoke on ribs? Im sure i can fit 6 racks on my GMG DM with the upper rack.

Comment

• DWCowles
              DWCowles commented
              Editing a comment
              No, you will get the same amount of smoke

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              What DWCowles said!

• tbob4
              tbob4 commented
              Editing a comment
              This may not apply with your unit. The more meat I put on my stick burner, the more energy I need (wood) to maintain a consistent temp and even at temp, it can take longer to get the same results. So add time to your cook and if it comes out at normal time cambro it.

Thanks for the responses looking forward to this weekend.

Comment

Don't forget to salt em before ya freeze em. And your other half is talking to my other half again. Was told about our deep freezer the other day also. Gotta clean it out and start cookin again

Comment

• Atalanta
                Atalanta commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm beginning to suspect that this is the "empty the freezer season."

Once you have your vacuum sealer, your counters will look like mine in my post "I hate Costco, Not really". Next comes a freezer for the garage or basement. My freezer currently is holding 3 15lb briskets, 6 racks of spares and babybacks, 6 large beef short ribs, 1 5lb and 2 10lb pork butts, 4 chickens, assorted sausages and hamburgers, countless bags of veggies, 3 6lb chuck roasts, several varieties of steaks and pork chops and 1 tri-tip. Hmmm, guess i need to get a pit fired up soon.

Comment

I bought a chest freezer today ! I justified it as for the baby

Comment

• tbob4
                  tbob4 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Darn good job! I need one, too but I'm still working on that permission.

• HorseDoctor
                  HorseDoctor commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It's often easier to get forgiveness than permission.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here