Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying the correct ribs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying the correct ribs?

Ok...I have a dilemma or a problem...not sure which. I am trying to find out why the ribs I buy do not seem to be as thick as when I get when I am at a BBQ joint or what I see posted here. I just got some from my local butcher, but they seemed really thin and expensive $4.49/lb for SLC. There were a few meatier ribs, but still seemed like they could use more meat. The slab was about 2lbs.

I see Costco has a very nice looking 3 pack of SLC ribs at about $20 for the 3 slabs, but not sure of weight. When I was in Atlanta in the beginning of Dec., we ate at a place called Fox Bros......Man was that GOOD! The ribs were extra thick, the wings were smoked to perfection...the beans rocked and the sweet tea was the best I ever had.

How can I purchase ribs that meaty? I know this seems like maybe an impossible question to answer, but I would love to know where the places like that get their meat.

Any my help would be appreciated!

thanks in advance

Are you sure you aren't getting baby backs at the restaurants?

Comment

Check the weight of the slabs at costco. They usually have packs in the 8-10 pound range which should give you some pretty good slabs in the 2.5-3.5 pound range. I've never had any complaints about thin ribs using them.

Comment

Like Nate says, baby backs tend to be thicker in my experience. Also, remember that restraunts also often get a better selection from their buyers than what we get at grocery stores.

Comment

I always buy my ribs from Costco. It's good meat at good prices. I prefer their St. Louis 3-packs. They're plenty meaty. I agree with edible hen.

Comment

Thanks guys, and yes, I am sure I am not getting Baby backs. I'll try the Costco racks and see how they are. Appreciate the feedback.

Comment

If'n I'm not mistaken, isn't it true that the meat on spare ribs is pretty much "fixed" by the cow, (COW!!!, I meant pig!) whereas the amount of meat left on a rack of baby backs ("thickness"-wise) is up to the butcher? Places like Chili's don't seem to have much meat on their baby backs, whereas Costco has decent ones.
              Last edited by Willy; January 4, 2017, 10:12 AM.

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Yep. Chilis and most restaurants serve tiny racks. Cheaper for them to buy and they get a set menu price each order. Win win for them.

• lschweig
                lschweig commented
                Editing a comment
                @ Willy are we talking beef or pork ribs? I think you meant hog rather than cow.

• Willy
                Willy commented
                Editing a comment
                Fer shure-fixed already. More coffee needed.

A 2lb rack of StL ribs is TINY. That's why they're thin. Shoot for 2.5 to 3lbseach, with 2.5 to 2.75 being ideal. Over 3lbs are large and over 3.5lbs are HUGE. This is solely my opinion based on my experiences.

Comment

• Willy
                Willy commented
                Editing a comment
                What do you attribute the variation in SLC ribs to?

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Willy I don't know what standards butchers use, maybe some just trim them skinnier on the band saw. Maybe hogs get butchered at vastly different weights/sizes. I don't really know. I've bought 2.lb StL and 4+lb St L and I didn't like either extreme though.

Huskee thanks for the guide lines. I will have a talk with the butcher and see what he says and see if we can get meatier ribs. His steaks look really good, nice marbling in them, and thick too. Can't wait to try them.

Thanks again. There is such a wealth of information here by all, and it is very much appreciated,

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here