Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who Sells Fresh Ham (online or retail)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who Sells Fresh Ham (online or retail)?

I watched a video recipe today & now I want to try my hand at curing a fresh shank bone-in ham. The first step in the process is figuring out where to get one. Seems like Whole Foods sells them but are there any other good options, retail or onlins? I live in the East Bay of the San Francisco Bay Area.

I don't know who might sell them in your area, but it can't hurt to check out Meathead article here. http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porkn...uring_ham.html

Comment

are you even allowed to eat Meat in the bay area??? I thought that was a strictly Vegetarian zone??

Comment

kenrobin -
        I'm about 3000 miles SE of you, but around here most any grocery store will order fresh ham (either shank, butt, or whole). Publix, the most common grocery around here, only has them in the store around Easter, but they will order it and get it in a day or two any time. The local Hispanic grocery has them in stock all the time, but they're frozen, and I prefer fresh. If you order one, make sure you say fresh ham 3 or 4 times, because its a request the meat counter guy will not hear very often.

Let us know how it comes out!

Comment

I just got one from my local grocer last week and it is taking the "Pink Bath" as we speak. I ordered it through Ray's Food Place here in Mt Shasta, but I think just about any grocer or meat market can help you out. Try Safeway.

Comment

johnec00CaptainMike - Thanks for your feedback. I went to Whole Foods Market today & the butcher had a 20 pounder that he cut in half for me. John you are so right.... I asked him a few times to confirm that it was uncured & fresh. He wasn't sure so he had to ask his supervisor. He also had a hard time looking up the price... it ended up costing $4.49/lb. Hopefully that is reasonable compared to other grocers since Whole Foods is also known as whole paycheck.

I will check out the other grocers in my area like Safeway & Lucky for future reference. Sadly, I don't think Trader Joe's has butchers or large meat sections.

Comment

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              Mine clocked in at $1.89/lb, which I thought was quite a bargain. I wonder if there is a significant difference in quality. I'm doing mine for New Year's day and I'll let you know how it turns out.

• Bob Benhardt
              Bob Benhardt commented
              Editing a comment
              CaptainMike that price is right where it should be for a naked ham. Should be just fine

• Bob Benhardt
              Bob Benhardt commented
              Editing a comment
              kenrobin is there no local butchers in the area to befriend?

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here