Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

They Don't Call Me Hambone For Nuthin!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They Don't Call Me Hambone For Nuthin!

With the last name of Hamilton, like my Father before me I have been known as "Hambone" to many of my friends. In homage to that I am curing my first ham. I am building on skills learned from making Meathead 's pastrami last month, and will be following his recipe for ham. Any advice, tips, tricks or anything to help avoid any pitfalls would be greatly appreciated.

I purchased the fresh 20lb ham from a local grocer for $1.89/lb, which I think is a great price. Any feedback on that?

So, without further ado, the obligatory "before" picture:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20161212_151901_resized.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	249949

Never did a ham. Enjoy the journey to Hamonia

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      I am a little surprised at that. I was hoping for a bit of your usual wisdom as you seem to be one of the hammier guys at The Pit!

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I am too, I though you've did sums hamz

Feedback? That's beautiful!

Comment

I am looking forward to your journey.

Comment

Just follow the recipe to the letter and you will have a great product! Pic's when it's done please!

Comment

Hey CaptainMike nice hunk of pork. Good luck with your ham curing.

Comment

We all look forward to the results! I'll bring the scalloped taters. Maybe Breadhead could whip up a sourdough loaf or two. Who's bringing the crack and cheese and desserts?

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            Mr. Breadhead would have some serious competition from Mrs Hambone and her sourdough starter "Frannie"! Frannie is originally from San Francisco, but has morphed a little over the years, still formidable!

• Atalanta
            Atalanta commented
            Editing a comment
            LOL We call the stuff they serve at a local Smokehouse crack and cheese- BF makes sure to bring an order home.

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            Anything called Crack and cheese has got to be awesome!

I can see why you got that ham - it has your name on it!

Comment

Then why do you go by CaptainMike in the pit?

Comment

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              That's a great question. As I've gotten older and moved on from my home town, less and less people know me by that nickname. I guess I now give more preference to my career as a fireman. It works either way.

• Nate
              Nate commented
              Editing a comment
              CaptainMike , I understand and admire your bravery sir.... however... we are in the pit and Hambone seems like a natural fit.... lol.... either way can't wait to see how it turns out... i've always heard smoking a raw ham makes it taste a lot like pork butt.... thoughts, tips, or suggestions?

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here