Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Pork Butt Smoked!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Pork Butt Smoked!

I think there is another issue in the forums, I keep reading and hearing about MCS, but there is a greater issue lingering around that no one talks about. I dont have a fancy name for it yet so lets just go with CDS, Continuous Drooling Symptom. The problem with it is I see all these wonderful cooks and recipes that when I see something on sale, I have this overwhelming desire to buy it and try something new. HEB had Boston Pork Butts on sale this weekend, $1/lb, so my CDS kicked in and I had to get it. The smallest was an 8 pounder and for just myself, my wife, and my 4 year old that was going to be too much but I said fork it lets go! I measured length and width to make sure this big 'ol hunk of meat would fit on my 14" WSM and had just barely enough room to fit the grate probe on with it.

Thanks to Meathead for the MMD recipe, and all of the forums for being so helpful to those who have traversed this before me. I found a lot of help without having to ask.

Bought the butt on Wednesday night and lost track of time some how and went ahead to start the dry brine even though I wasn't planning to cook till Sunday. Then added the MMD on Thursday. just a light coat to start with, came back Friday to add a second coat to make sure I hit all the little crevices. started the grill prep process at 7:30 am, and meat went on at 8:30am. I was a little scared since this will be my longest cook yet on my WSM. She lasted till 4PM before I had to reload the charcoals, and finally got to 203 at 7:30 pm.

Here is the before:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161211_081701561.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	249864
    And I was being pushed a little from the family to open 'er up I didn't get the pic I wanted, but here is what I was able to get before it was devoured.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161211_195200867.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	249865

I cut some cross hashes in the fat on top, It wanted too much there to begin with so I trimmed a bit and left the rest for the cook. The bone came out ok, didn't slide out like butter, but it came out easily enough. I brought a few pounds up to work to share with co-workers who keep drooling when they walk by and see the AR website up when I browse...

Dang, now i'm hungry!

Comment

That looks great. Don't forget - you can cut that butt in half. If you cook both at the same time, you have more bark. You can also freeze half for another time. I'd suggest dry brining before freezing so that you don't have to bother brining after you pull it out of the freezer. You can even go straight to the smoker from the freezer if you have already dry brined it. If you cook both at the same time, you can freeze the second half.

Comment

Going straight from the freezer to the smoker is a great way to do it, I did an 8 pounder this past Saturday right out of the freezer and it turned out really great. I seasoned it and injected it before I froze it.

Comment

• Stevo
          Stevo commented
          Editing a comment
          how much time does this add to the cook?

• vandy
          vandy commented
          Editing a comment
          I think it added around 3 hours to the cook time, the last time I did a thawed pork butt it took around 8 hours and this one took around 11 hours. I think this one was a pound or 2 larger than the last one though.

• vandy
          vandy commented
          Editing a comment
          I am planning on doing 2 of these at the same time on the same grill for Christmas so that will probably add some cook time also.

I do like the CDS thought.

Comment

Very nice pulled pork. Yep, I'm drooling!

Comment

Looks TASTY! Nice job!! I would eat that pulled pork with a nice American Nut Brown Ale and some pit beans.

Comment

I know the pressure that guests can exert on the Pit Master to get the goods on the table. You gotta be tough and only plate when the food is ready. You don't want sub-par meals out there.

Comment

At the risk of breaking a commandment, I am coveting thy Pit brother's cook. Nice job! Looks delicious.

Comment

Well documented cook, great pics, and Great Lookin' food! Ya done good, rip1877 !!! Thanks fer sharin'! Now I'm hungry (again)

Comment

It looks like every great pork shoulder I have ever seen.

Comment

rip1877, That's a Great Looking Butt! That was Then, This is Now, Beat Feet Back and Buy Some More of Those $1.00/# Butts! They will Keep Nicely in the Freezer both Smoked and Raw!
                      Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

I kept forgetting to ask about this too...

I kept a log on the cook, I noticed that the pit temps kept spiking and dropping and just wouldn't settle on a temp for too long. I just let it go but recoreded the temps at intervals. I was watching the spikes and drop through out the day, but here is what I recorded.

I used KBB on my WSM 14"
                        Starting temp outside was 54 degrees
                        Meat went on at 8:30 am
                        Pitt was stable"ish" at 244
                        Meat initial temp was 50

9:34
                        pitt was 259
                        meat at 77

10:26
                        pitt was 230
                        meat 106

11:39
                        pitt was 252
                        meat at 133

2:07
                        pitt was 232
                        meat at 169

3:30
                        pitt was 237
                        meat at 172

4:00 - refuel the coals. temp was up and down but then started to decline. looked in the bin and had 4 pieces of coal and a bunch of ash.
                        got it restocked and up to 237 pitt
                        meat at 172

5:42
                        pitt was at 253
                        meat at 187

7:28
                        pitt at 266
                        and meat at 203

Pulled it and brought it inside and shut the grill down.

Comment

That's a nice looking cook, rip1877 . I join the other droolers here in congratulating you.

Kathryn

Comment

Looks great! Congrats!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here