Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cured a pork loin, now I have questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cured a pork loin, now I have questions.

I cured a pork loin yesterday with some bacon cure that I bought awhile ago to make bacon with(I bought the wrong kind of cure, wanted dry rub cure.). I used the amount calculated from the given recipe and was just going to ask you guys what you think of this and do you think it's going to work? According to the instructions for injecting, you inject and hold overnight then ready for the smoker the next day. Am I reading this right or am I missing something. I attached a link to the directions.

Well, that's an industrial style cure that I don't know enough about to comment on. Home cures tend to be gentler and go for about 7 days.

Comment

I have only used pork belly, not loin, to make bacon. I used the recipe on this site following the instructions to the letter and it came our great. I am not familiar with what you are using so really can't offer any advice. Have a look at this article and recipe. http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porkn...m_scratch.html

Pay close attention to the explanation of the difference between nitrites and nitrates.
      Last edited by AZRedneck; December 12, 2016, 12:29 PM. Reason: Minir error

Comment

Thanks guys. I've made meatheads recipe before but I seen this on my website where I order my meat casings and supplies from. I accidentally ordered this one instead of the dry bacon cure which I wanted to try. I just thought maybe I could make this work seems how I already spent the money on it.

Comment

I'm guessing, but my guess is that it's prague powder #1 (contains only sodium nitrite) mixed with flavorants. Wouldn't be surprised if their site gives some details. In which case, you should be able to use it for a Meathead/home style cure. Here's some web info on prague powder: http://www.cooksinfo.com/prague-powder

Comment

I personally wouldn't use it for loin at all. The thickness of the meat comes into a major conflict here with the product that you purchased. Proper percentages of water to nitrite levels make the curing processes properly happen without incident. Considering that your loin is about 3 to 4 times as thick as pork belly, it could cause a major issue. Even if you injected it, overnight won't suffice for curing of your product.

There is also no mention of the percentage of nitrites that are actually in your product. Sodium erythorbate will speed up the rate at which the nitrites in your cure can process through the meat, but a whole pork loin cured overnight seems unlikely. What you may end up with is a partially cured loin that is mostly off colored throughout the majority of it. With the information given, it's also impossible to calculate the safe PPM percentage levels of nitrites you may be ingesting.

Comment

MH's Canadian Bacon recipe is dynamite and it uses a pork loin.

Comment

Well I took the loin out of the fridge last night and cut a little piece up to fry. It wasn't too bad other than a little salty. I've run it through two soaks to help pull the salt out a bit before I smoke it tonight. Pictures and flavor updates to come. Thanks all for the suggestions.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here