Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prague salt #1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prague salt #1

i just mixed my brine for my pork belly. After mixing and getting the pork belly in the bags I noticed my powder said use by April 2016. Does anyone know if this will be okay. It is stored in a moisture proof bag . I hope I am okay because we had a snowstorm and I don't drive in the snow!

I'm not a chemist, but I can't imagine that sodium nitrate or sodium chloride age at all. As long as it was dry, I'm guessing it'll be fine. I'm anxious to hear comments from someone who knows more "fer shure, fer shure Valley Girl".
    Last edited by Willy; December 10, 2016, 08:29 AM.

Comment

I'm pretty sure if you keep the salt dry and fresh you should be able to use it indefinitely.

Comment

There was a recent thread where the consensus of the experts was that it should be fine, even if the pink coloring fades a little. Salt just doesn't go bad. Think of Himalayan salt that is geologically formed over eons then just mined, cut, and packaged for use.

Comment

It's perfectly fine as long as moisture hasn't gotten to it, or compromised with impurities.

Comment

Thank you everyone. My husband is a pharmacist and he basically said the same thing. I guess I just needed some reassurance.

Comment

Bsa We'd love to get an intro from you over in the Introduce Yourself channel when you get a minute. Thanks!

Comment

I agree that it should be fine. Don't forget - we want photos of the finished PB. And welcome.

Comment

It would probably start to go bad in about 1 billion years.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                    Potkettleblack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It's a rock. I'm not sure it would go bad even then. There's nothing organic to rot.

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Dang it, just ordered 1,000,000,001 year old salt off eBay. Just my luck.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here