Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Sirloin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Sirloin?

I'm planning to cook a large pork butt for a Christmas pot luck with one of my customers. I was at a different customers, and one of the employees (he competes and wins frequently, and does the cooking for their lunches) told me that rather than cooking a pork butt, he's been doing pork sirloins. A lot less fat, and much shorter cook times, but still terrific pulled pork. I went to the local Smart and Final, and sure enough, sitting right among the pork butts, picnic roasts and ribs there were several "pork sirloins". About 4 lbs each, and double packed.

I've been trying to research on the Internet, but I didn't find a whole lot of information, and nothing on AR.

Anyone cooked one of these? How did they turn out? Would you do it again rather than a butt?

Best regards,
    Jim

Hi, jgg85234. I see you didn't get a post on your question yet, so here goes. I am assuming you are referring to a standard pork loin roast?

https://www.google.com/search?q=pork...4FMb4iinZfM%3A

If this is what you are cooking, you won't be cooking it near as long as a pork shoulder. This roast will cook to an internal temp of 140F, with a carry-over temp goal of 145F. I always kinda go by, "you pull your butts, and slice your loins." If you can "pull" pork loin, it's going to dry as a popcorn fart. Dry brine with 1/2 teaspoon of Kosher salt for 2-4 hours. The smoker temp is a bit higher at nearly 325F. The higher temp is explained in the pork loin recipe by Meathead:

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porkn...oin_roast.html

Granted, this Meathead recipe is a stuffed loin, a standard loin will be very similar. Loin is completely different beast than butt. I believe the key to this cut is, obviously, not to over cook it.

I took a whole, smoked, shaved loin to work for a special occasion,(shaved with slicer). I kept the loin warm in a roasting pan, on lowest setting with a bit of beef broth in the bottom. Served with sliced onions, pickles, mustard, BBQ sauces, and toasted onion topped buns. The gorillas at my factory enjoyed the heck out of it. One thing I remember, is that several people appreciated that it wasn't "pulled-pork, again" sandwiches. For some reason, shaved/sliced pork loin sandwiches are a nice alternative to pulled pork from time to time.

I'm sure you will get more feedback now as my comments will bump your post. More than likely, you will get responses because people are going to be wondering what kind of screwy answer I posted this time.
    Last edited by Shane Rakow; December 5, 2016, 12:21 AM.

Comment

• Bob Benhardt
      Bob Benhardt commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep! Agree with the slicing, too!

I'm not sure what it is. I've cooked lots of pork loin roasts over the years. This was labelled sirloin. It was in a bag and looked a lot like a butt, except there was a lot less fat showing. Still a significant amount but less than any part of a shoulder. Color and texture looked like a butt. Guy who told me about them said he cooked them to about 170 and then pulled them. That would make a pork loin roast pretty dry.

And it was $1.49/lb

jim

Comment

• Shane Rakow
      Shane Rakow commented
      Editing a comment
      I have seen pork steaks labelled, pork sirloin. The cuts of pork folks may be able to help you further. A picture of this sirloin roast might be helpful as well.

• Shane Rakow
      Shane Rakow commented
      Editing a comment
      I found a cooking chart from the Pork Council that has Sirloin Roast. I've never seen this cut before. Most information out there states that it is easily confused with center cut loin. Well, I did too. At least i'm consistent.

The red arrow points to the boneless variety of sirloin roast. There is also directions for bone-in sirloin roast just below that.
      Last edited by Shane Rakow; December 5, 2016, 12:57 AM.

Post a picture of the meat so we can get a look.

Comment

The pork sirloin is fine for making pulled pork. Just as your friend said take it to 170, or until probe tender. I have done pulled pork with this cut before. Sirloin is from the back of the loin, right in front of the hip. As you said, it is not quite as fatty as the butt. I want to try it again in a side by side comparison with a butt, to see the difference.

Maybe you could do a trial run before your big potluck?
      Last edited by Thunder77; December 5, 2016, 09:12 AM.

Comment

I believe in Missouri, they make this cut into pork steaks.

Comment

OK, I got the definitive answer from my client in the foodservice business. Somewhat new marketing gimmick in the retail business. This is our old friend called "cushion meat". It's cut from the bottom of the picnic roast, and packed in pairs. They call it "pork sirloin". Boneless, and fairly lean, it can be cooked low and slow to about 170, and pulled easily.

So, pulled pork that can be made in a lot less time than a traditional butt, and with somewhat less fat (and cholesterol). May or may not be available in your location (just like beef tri-tip).

Think I'll try one (not in the holiday season, though). When I do it, I'll be sure to take some photos.

Jim

Comment

I know its been said before, but this is what "our pit" is all about! I did'nt know anything about cuts of meat (still really don't but I know where to find the info) folks helping folks. How cool is that!

Comment

I stopped by the grocery store, (HyVee), before work to check out the sales. I couldn't help but laugh and shake my head when I spotted Pork Sirloin Roast in the meat case. I had just finished posting back and forth with Jim about this mystery cut. I have used this cut before,(a year ago). I just didn't catch the name on the package. All I saw was .99 cents a pound and grabbed a few of them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161205_123511_332.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	270.9 KB
ID:	247343

As you can see, they had a nifty net wrap job on them. I bought four, (not at that price). I made pork, sauerkraut, and taters in the pressure cooker with one and it was pretty good. I would say the "sirloin" roast was essentially a wadded up ball of pork steak quality meat.
              If this was supposed to be a leaner cut of pork butt, I doubt it. The second little net-wrapped roast I put in an electric skillet and braised for a long time. Same results. Not very high quality by any means. The third roast went by way of pressure cooker again and about 30% of the roast was nothing but a fat glob, and had to be tossed.
              Finally, the 4th roast went on the smoker, and it was fair at best. Lots and lots of fat. I think it is a crap shoot with this cut. As Jim stated that it is a "cushion meat" means that I have no clue as to what this roast has to offer until it is too late. I'm sure that not all Sirloin roasts are created the same, but mine were not worth the change from pork butt.

Oh, and one more thing. I like to share my mangled cooks so hopefully, I can save somebody else the grief I experienced.

Shane's tip of the day: Never, neVer, EVER, smoke something low-and-slow, that has a net wrap on it like these sirloin roasts I bought. Your bark will exit by way of net removal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161009_175426_429.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	247344

I'll stick to pork butt. Hope this helps, Jim.

Comment

• boftx
                boftx commented
                Editing a comment
                As an aside, I always remove any string on a roast, no matter what it is. Shortens the cook time as well as preventing what you shared. My wife does her roasts in the oven, so she leaves it on. Mine go in the smoker. I'll often do twice baked potatoes with a beef roast, and a veggie pack as well.

• Shane Rakow
                Shane Rakow commented
                Editing a comment
                Agreed for sure boftx, but if I removed this netting in raw state, it would have been a 2 inch thick pile of blubber on the counter. I'll pass on this one from now on.
                Last edited by Shane Rakow; December 6, 2016, 02:16 AM. Reason: no special reason, I just felt like editing it.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here