Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would you trim these ribs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How would you trim these ribs?

I just bought these ribs from the butcher. I wanted to cut them into a St Louis Style cut but I am not sure where to begin. The ribs look different from every video I have seen on the Net. How would you trim these ribs?
    Attached Files

If there are flaps of meat around the periphery, trim them off for KC style, then make them separately for chef's delight. But it's not clear from the pic that you don't already have a KC trim.

Often enough, I'll just leave it untrimmed. Do strip off the membrane on the bones.

Have fun!

Comment

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Better answer than mine!

It looks like the bones go all the way side-to-side. Am I correct?

Comment

Sorry here are some more photos. The bones go from one side to the other. There is no obvious place to cut them.
        Attached Files

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks to me like you already have your KC cut. Get cookin' !

• billg71
          billg71 commented
          Editing a comment
          Agree, if the bones are continuous they've already been trimmed. Looks like they came from a big hog!

I bought that exact same rack last year, and trimmed it according to that Serious Eats page. Once you start sliciing it becomes clear. just cut where they show you to. Use a big, sharp knife!

Comment

I suggest trimming with your teeth once they are done to pass the bend test.

Comment

I cooked a few slabs about that size a few weeks ago. ! slab weighed in at 4.6 pounds, the other at 5.2 pounds. Running between 250-275 they took almost 8 hours. I smoked without wrapping, then tried to do the bend test. I got a kick out of people eating only 1 rib and being full.Click image for larger version  Name:	20161117_190501.jpg Views:	1 Size:	7.05 MB ID:	246088
            Last edited by edible hen; December 2, 2016, 10:09 PM.

Comment

I would only trim loose bits on the edges, and flap underneath if it's there.

Looks to me like they're St Louis plus some baby back, vs spares (as they look at first galnce) which are St Louis plus rib tips per usual. Probably would be a 1-2 bone meal for me!

I could be wrong of course, but this is where I would think a butcher typically would separate St Louis (top, A; and left, B) from loin backs (bottom, A; and right, B). Traditional spares would be the St Louis (top, A) plus rib tips above the top.

I would love to have these ribs, best of both worlds!

A
              Click image for larger version

Name:	bigribs.PNG
Views:	122
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	246142

B
              Click image for larger version  Name:	bigribs2.PNG Views:	1 Size:	774.1 KB ID:	246134

Comment

• Mosca
                Mosca commented
                Editing a comment
                In picture B, on the right, do you see that dark spot on the bone? That is where the cartilage starts, and that is where you should trim. Each bone will have that spot right in line down the rib, and the knife should cut there pretty easily, assuming it is sharp.

Ok cool I think I really understand it now.

Thanks heaps for the tips guys. I'll try trimming them tomorrow when I cook them. I'll post pics of the trim and the cook.

Comment

I would kill for some ribs like that. If I had them, and a band saw, I would cut them where Huskee shows in pic B.

Comment

Great looking rack of ribs! Totally agree with Huskee in that what you have is baby backs & SLC combined. They are pretty much already very well trimmed. Peel the membrane on the bone side, rub, cook & enjoy!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here