Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

combo cook; ribs and chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

combo cook; ribs and chicken

I plan on doing a cook on my BGE. I will cook my ribs at 225. I also would like to cook a whole chicken and have them ready at the same time. Can I cook the chicken at 225 instead of the recommended 325 and add smoke 1.5 hrs into rib cook without hurting the ribs? or should i take the ribs off the grill and finish indoors?

You can, but you run the risk of rubbery skin on the chicken.

Comment

so adding wood chips right before i put on the chicken will not harm the ribs?

Comment

I suggest making a packet from aluminum foil with the chips inside. Punch a few small holes in the foil to allow the chips to smoke without catching fire. This won't hurt the ribs at all.
        But cooking chicken at a low temp will not allow the skin to crisp. You need to cook the chicken in the area of 325* to 375* F to get crisp skin. I don't worry if the temp goes a little higher. Hold back any sauce that contains sugar until the last few minutes as it will burn if it's at the higher temps too long.

Comment

Originally posted by jmoss2008 View Post
          so adding wood chips right before i put on the chicken will not harm the ribs?
          Not at all. Many people (myself included) cook ribs and all other meats with all wood so they get smoke the entire cook. Chips don't put out much smoke for long so you likely wouldn't notice that extra little bit on the ribs. Honestly what I'd do is pull your ribs off (perhaps a smidge early) and store them in your house oven at 170, uncovered, for 2hrs while you stoke the coals in your BGE up and cook the chicken... IMO that would get you your best results.

Comment

Oh, and welcome to The Pit! We'd love to get an intro from you over in the Introduce Yourself channel when you get a minute. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...troductions-aa

Comment

Welcome jmoss2008

Comment

jmoss2008, I am Late getting Here! Welcome to "The Pit"! You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ.! Attendance and Participation are Mandatory! Enjoy "The Pit"!
                Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here