Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Im embarrassed to say....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im embarrassed to say....

I like fall of the bone juicy Ribs. So does that mean they are over cooked?? how do you get fall off the bone?? The local BBQ chain Dickeys makes 2 things really well Potato salad and their ribs!! I cant get enough of their ribs! I know this is counter intuitive to you guys Ribs are suppose to be bite through with out pulling off the bone!! But I like the Fall off the bone dont need a knife juicy ribs. When I do ribs I do the 3 2 1 Method They come out alright but never soft or juicy enough! Ok 2nd question which is better for fall of the bone (<--kind of getting tired of typing that??) Ribs Baby Back or St louis style? I usually Do the St Louis cause that's what I remember getting as a kid that I loved so much. However I hear that Baby backs are better? I know this is most likely like saying which is better a Kamado or a kettle, opinions will vary wildly. Ok so the Question I'm asking is: How to get soft juicy fall of the bone ribs? what temp should I cook at? how longshould they cook? will wrapping them make them more juicy and soft? Have decided gonna do Brisket and Ribs for Thanksgiving so that's why the long winded question now!

If you want fall off the bone, just take them up too 195F and wrap the ribs into a Cambro and let them sit for a little bit. If you have a thermapen, you can get pretty good readings in between the bones. I have a friend that has me donthis when I make ribs.
    To me, there is nothing wrong with fall off the bone, as long as you have t boiled them!! Plus if that's what you like......thats what you like. It's your backyard man!

Comment

• GadjetGriller
      GadjetGriller commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh no I never boil!! We dont wont the Terrorist to win!!

Don't feel guilty about the falling off the bones question. In my family that is the most disputed topic when it comes to my BBQ. Two think falling off the bone is what a true rib is supposed to be and two of us (guess you can tell I am one) think a rib with a bite is best. Here is what I do to appease everyone. I leave the fall off the bone ribs wrapped longer during the cook. Also - add a bit of moisture during the wrap process. You will know when you unwrap if you are getting what you want. The ribs will not only shrink back from the end bones but when you go to move them from the foil they will want to break away in the middle. St. Louis ribs are the ribs I am talking about. Your preference about how you like them is not a problem, at all.

Comment

• GadjetGriller
      GadjetGriller commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the heads up. Leave in the wrap longer! ok So is 225 a good temp? I'm getting a little excited for this cook!! Hopefully I can match Dickey's ribs! That will teach them to charge so much for their ribs!!

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      And baby backs melt when you do this. Especially when you add butter. (Which should be implied)

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      I cook at 225 and do 3-2-1 for fall off the bone and 3-1-2 for a rib with a bite. Try 3 at 225, 2 at 250 wrapped and unwrap to see what you are getting.

They aren't supposed to be bite through without pulling off the bone; they are supposed to be tug off the bone.

That being said, I'll eat 'em if you serve 'em! I love pull off the bone ribs, they taste like ribs after all! Just cook them longer. Spinaker has it right.

Comment

• GadjetGriller
      GadjetGriller commented
      Editing a comment
      Tug off the bone I like it!!

To get real juicy (fob) ribs here is what I used to do.
    1. Smoked for 3 hrs if they are SLC. Two hrs for BBs depending on the thickness.
    2. After three hrs I will wrapped but before I do I will squeeze butter,honey and add brown sugar on top of ribs and wrap tightly and let them go 1 1/2-2 hrs.
    3. After two hrs remove from foil carefully and place back in smoker to firm them up.
    4. Enjoy

Comment

• GadjetGriller
      GadjetGriller commented
      Editing a comment
      Humm Honey!? I do the squeeze parkay thing and the brown sugar but not tried honey sounds interesting! thanks!

Ribs are supposed to be how YOU & YOURS want them! Competition doneness is the standard barky gentle tug ribs that's come to be popular among serious cue'ers...but that doesn't mean it's right for everyone or that you're a novice if you don't do it that way. I'm eating a crock pot chuck roast right now that my wife made today for me to bring to work...and it's awesome! Several ways to skin any cat. Or pig or steer.

Comment

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      Right on! guy

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 on what Huskee said! Go with what you like.

My wife likes rthe meat to come off the bone easily, but when I go that far they are not juicy, so I generally pull them a bit earlier.

Comment

• GadjetGriller
      GadjetGriller commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the heads up!! 195 and they break when lifted!! I hope they wont be to dry!!

I overcooked a rack of ribs once. They were falling apart and pretty darn juicy, little longer they would have been mush. The bend test was more of a break test. Nice bark too.

Comment

• GadjetGriller
      GadjetGriller commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm hoping to replicate your findings!!

If they aren't falling off the bone, they're not right! Just say'n

Comment

i am the same way. i don't want to fight my ribs to eat them.

and DO NOT get baby back. they will likely dry up and certainly won't be fall apart tender. they have too much loin meat still attached (in every experience of my life) to become near pulled pork tender

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
        fuzzydaddy commented
        Editing a comment
        My experience lately has been way too much loin meat on BBRs as well, so I'm switching to Spares.

GadjetGriller this recipe may be more fall off the bones than you like.

“PORK SPARERIBS
      Many pitmasters prefer pork spareribs to baby back ribs becausethey are easier to prepare, have more connective tissue and fat, and are just more flavorful.

YIELD: 8 TO 10 SERVINGS TOTAL: 4 HOURS, 25 MINUTES

3 (4- to 5-lb.) racks pork spareribs
      1∕3 cup peanut oil
      1½ cups Season All Rub, divided
      3 Tbsp. freshly ground black pepper
      4 pecan, hickory, or cherry wood chunks
      8 to 10 lb. charcoal briquettes
      ¾ cup apple juice
      2 cups El Sancho Barbecue Sauce, divided
      1. Rinse and pat ribs dry. Remove thin membrane from back of ribs by pulling it off using a paper towel. (This will make ribs more tender.) Trim ribs to St. Louis cut
      2. Brush or rub ribs generously with peanut oil. Coat each rack with Season All Rub and black pepper, and let stand 1 hour.
      3. Meanwhile, prepare charcoal fire in smoker according to Minion Method. Place water pan in smoker; add water to depth of fill line. Regulate temperature with a thermometer to 275° for 15 to 20 minutes.
      4. Place ribs, bone side down, on upper food grate; close smoker. Smoke 1 to 1½ hours, and using a spray bottle, spritz with apple juice every 30 minutes, checking to prevent charring on edges of ribs.
      5. Remove ribs from smoker, and spray generously with apple juice. Wrap ribs tightly in a double layer of heavy-duty aluminum foil, and return "smoker. Cook, meat side down, 1½ more hours."
      6. Remove ribs from smoker; open foil, and allow steam to escape for 2 to 4 minutes. Drain and discard liquid and aluminum foil.
      7. Brush ribs with ½ cup El Sancho Barbecue Sauce each. Carefully return ribs to smoker, bone side down; close smoker. Cook 10 minutes or until barbecue sauce is set. Remove ribs from smoker, and cut between bones to separate ribs. Serve immediately with remaining ½ cup El Sancho Barbecue Sauce.”

Check out this book on the iBooks Store: https://itun.es/us/JQBK6.l

Excerpt From: The Editors of Southern Living. "Southern Living Ultimate Book of BBQ." Oxmoor House, 2015-03-13. iBooks.
      This material may be protected by copyright.

Check out this book on the iBooks Store: https://itun.es/us/JQBK6.l

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here