Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

makin' bacon in the dark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

makin' bacon in the dark

making bacon tonight! it's going to be cold and dark after work but i don't have much of a choice (thanks a lot in-laws). i used the new recipe and spreadsheet to cure it, i am making just normal bacon and i am making a little less than 7 lbs (5 pieces). i started the cure last monday and i was going to smoke it saturday or sunday but family happened. so i am stuck with tonight because i won't have another chance until this weekend and i think that is too long to wait. i had been flipping and massaging every nighr except last saturday night when i couldn't.

one thing i found interesting is that the weight of the meat in the spreadsheet didn't have as big of an impact as i thought it would for the curing salt. from 1lb to 1.6lb it didn't change the cure amount. my pieces range from 1lb to 1.6, when you put it 1.7 it changed. i hope everything turns out ok.

i plan to smoke until 160 using hickory.

Try some apple too, if you have it. It's good!

Comment

• DeusDingo
      DeusDingo commented
      Editing a comment
      oh i will some day, i just have a bunch of hickory chunks and i only have chips of apple. i prefer chunks over chips.

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree. Definitely chunks over chips!

You'll love it! I'm getting requests for homemade bacon!

Comment

The cure amount is right on the money. Enjoy.

Comment

alright so it took 4+ (!) hours on my cruddy little smoker at about 240-260 but the bacon came out just fine. currently sitting in the freezer while i use up what i currently have

Click image for larger version

Name:	20161121_223330[1].jpg
Views:	115
Size:	328.9 KB
ID:	242465

the one in the upper right is the last of my pre-sliced bunch.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20161121_223402[1].jpg
Views:	110
Size:	347.8 KB
ID:	242466

i really look forward to these

Comment

• Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          Beeeyoootiful!

• bluesmoke
          bluesmoke commented
          Editing a comment
          That looks awesome. How did it taste? I followed MH's new recipe for maple and it was rather flavorless. I'd done several slabs under the old recipe and the results were superior. Seems others have had a similar outcome with the new recipe so I'm trying to figure out what went wrong. Thanks.

• DeusDingo
          DeusDingo commented
          Editing a comment
          to be honest: it is a bit flavorless. i much preferred the old recipe as well but i never wrote it down so i use the new method. i had to salt it after the fact in order to have some flavor in it. in some cases i have resalted it 3 times

Wowzer. Very nice.

Comment

Originally posted by DeusDingo View Post
          ...the one in the upper right is the last of my pre-sliced bunch...
          Gorgeous bacon! At first reading I thought you said brunch, not bunch, so I'm thinking that's a nice bacon brunch you're going to have!

Comment

• DeusDingo
            DeusDingo commented
            Editing a comment
            hah, i probably will someday!

I am dying to try some bacon.... I gotta get me a pork belly and get it cured. Thanks for posting, you're inspiring me!

Comment

That looks amazing!

Comment

So I'm doing my first bacon. Just wondering about the cure time and how much leeway I have. I have 6 lbs. Slab and thickness is 1 in to 1.8 in. Curkng time is 2.1 days for 1 in. and up to 5 days for 1.8 in.
              so what would be my correct curing time? BTW it is about 75% 1 in. thick.
              ??????

Comment

• tbob4
                tbob4 commented
                Editing a comment
                The calculator is in this article. I haven't done it yet so I can only direct you to what I have read here: http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...ing_meats.html

• DeusDingo
                DeusDingo commented
                Editing a comment
                i would say cure for the time of the thickest part. i don't think you will harm anything by keeping the thinner parts in there for another 3 days and if it is one piece of meat it will even out. there are people on here that used the old recipe and would cure for 2 full weeks and it turned out fine

I've done it a bunch of times. Can't give you a specific number of days, but you definitely have a day or two on the high side, depending on how salty you can handle it.

Comment

after eating this for a while i would say the website version of this bacon is a flop. it's rather flavorless and i have had to re-salt my bacon on both slabs that i have now had. my wife, who hates salt, says it needs a lot more salt. super disappointed.

pretty tasty once it's salted

Comment

• HorseDoctor
                  HorseDoctor commented
                  Editing a comment
                  At the risk of being banned from this site, try Ruhlman's recipe: http://ruhlman.com/2010/10/home-cured-bacon-2/ ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​

• DeusDingo
                  DeusDingo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  i'm certainly going to try something else

Beautiful!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here