Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulled pork chili

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulled pork chili

Does anyone have a good chili recipe that would use left over pulled pork? Hoping it's not sacrilegious to suggest it!

Pulled pork would be great in chili! Here's one in the soup, chili and stew channel. I've not made this. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...sriracha-chili
    We'd love to get an intro from you over in the Introduce Yourself channel when you get a minute. Thanks!

Comment

I agree it sounds so good. I've not made it either, but my wife did make leftover brisket chili. The first two or three bites were different, I wasn't sure what to think since I wasn't used to smoke flavor being in chili...but I got used to it in a hurry and gobbled up a second bowl. I assume pork chili would be similar. Can't wait to try it.

Comment

I use pulled pork in the Bourbon Barbecue Baked Beans instead of the bacon and it is good. I know, I know, it doesn't sound right to leave out bacon in a recipe, but for us it works.
        Last edited by fuzzydaddy; November 20, 2016, 08:01 AM.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          PLUB (People for the Liberal Use of Bacon) will be all over you like they are me when I make statements about not using bacon. Watch out. There are PLUB members here.

• AZRedneck
          AZRedneck commented
          Editing a comment
          I am a card carrying PLUBber and I am disgusted by your disgraceful actions of leaving bacon out of a recipe. It's borderline blasphemy! I hope you can live with yourself after this atrocious act of defiance! ;-)

Pulled Pork Chili rocks!!! I make it alla th' time.
        Ya' might wanna try it...
        (Use it in yer Jambalaya, too...)
        Jus sayin'

Comment

• abandonedbrain
          abandonedbrain commented
          Editing a comment
          Oooh, jambalaya! Great idea!!!

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Yummylicious Jambalaya!!!
          Great fer Ham n' Beans, Split Pea Soup, also!!! Enjoy, Amigo!!! :-)))
          <CHEAT> I sometimes (often) rub th' butt with my own 'Cajun Seasoning'.
          (Recipe forthcoming.)
          Don't touch that dial!
          Last edited by Mr. Bones; November 20, 2016, 10:33 AM.

Haven't made chili with it, but I have swapped out beef for pulled pork when making vegetable beef soup. Delish!

Comment

I ALWAYS make chili with any leftover BBQ, doesn't matter what the meat is. In fact, I always cook extra just so I can make chili (or stew).

I usually just wing it on the chili, using whatever I have at hand, but chili powder, Old Bay, a bit of molasses, dill weed, cumin (or all spice) and such figure into it, as does a can of Ro-Tel and tomato sauce. You can use the drippings instead of water if you want an intense flavor experience. Strictly speaking I make chili with beans most of the time to maximize yield.

Pulled pork will become pretty stringy in chili, so you want to chunk it up pretty good first. I throw everything in the crock pot for about 3 - 4 hours and it is good to go.

On a side note, pork loin is good in chili, but is much better than pulled pork for a stew. Any kind of beef can be used in chili or stew if you can cut it to the right sized cubes for each.

PS - Pulled pork is also GREAT for enchiladas and tacos. If you make a true chili sauce with it you have a great way to turn any dish into Tex-Mex, including omelettes.

Comment

• boftx
            boftx commented
            Editing a comment
            Huskee, it is a mix of Chipotle and celery seed and is a commercial product. There are a couple of variations on it available now as well.

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks. I mean I know what it is, my mom always had it growing up. Just didn't know if it's makeup was a proprietary secret or not.

• boftx
            boftx commented
            Editing a comment
            Huskee the exact proportions might be a trade secret, but I find it to be close to what I would use anyway so being the lazy SOB that I am I just go with it. I find it especially good for beef steaks, roasts, chili, and stew (my wife likes celery and I like the heat).

Like fuzzydaddy mentioned above, try this! I made it a few weeks ago, and it was yet another hit at home and office!!

LifebyC’s Pulled Pork Sriracha Chili

5-6 lb pork butt

Meatheads€™s Memphis Dust (except 1/3 cup fresh Hungarian paprika, not a ½ cup because of all the other heat).

Rinse and then trim most of the fat off the pork butt. Dry completely. Sprinkle with coarse kosher salt. Rest in fridge for 12 hours.

Hit the butt with a light spray of cooking oil. Rub liberally with Meatheads€™s Memphis Dust (reduced paprika). Rest in fridge another 12 hours.

Another super light dusting of cooking oil spray and Meatheads€™s Memphis Dust, and on the smoker.

about 6 hours later the butt stalled @ 162. Time to start the chili:

Chili Fixings (makes 7 quarts when you add the pulled pork)

1 can (16 oz.) black beans, low salt, drained
          1 can (16 oz.) red kidney beans, low salt, drained
          1 can (16 oz.) white kidney (cannellini) beans, drained
          1 can (16 oz.) diced tomatoes, NOT drained
          1 big can (29 oz.) tomato sauce
          1/3 cup Sriracha hot sauce
          3 green peppers, seeded and chopped
          2 white onions, chopped
          8 cloves garlic, chopped
          2 tsps. garlic powder
          2 tsp cumin
          1 tsp sugar
          ½ tsp allspice
          1 small can, or ½ large can of no salt added corn kernels (5-7 oz.) drained

Mix all ingredients in a large (7qt) crock pot on low for 4-6 hours while the pork finishes on the grill.

When the pork butt hits 200-203 (this one took 12 hours total), pull it and put the pulled pork INCLUDING the bone in the crock pot with everything else.

Comment

• Bob's BBQ
            Bob's BBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            I've made this a few times - always a hit!

I don't really have a recipe as such, so here is a photo of what usually goes into mine, at least this time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20161121_134403.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	304.2 KB
ID:	242257

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here