Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vacuum sealing bacon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vacuum sealing bacon

Forgive me if this is in the wrong spot but I couldn't figure out where else to put it. I recently placed an order with my butcher for a lot of pork belly. I'm planning on making a crapload of bacon. I have an idea of what I'm going to do with most of it but I know there will be leftovers. My question is this. If I vacuum seal and freeze whatever is left how long do you think it will be good for? My guess is a month or so. Anybody have experience with or insight into this?

That is exactly what I did. I bought a bunch of pork belly at Costco with the intention of making my own bacon and some other things like char siu with pork belly. Not ready yet and my Prague powder just arrived this week and I picked up some maple syrup yesterday. Meanwhile it's vacuum packed and frozen. I don't see why it won't last a long time if your vacuum pack is good.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      hmmm, me thinks when Costco is out of Tri-tip the pork belly sections gets CLEANED OUT.

• mgaretz
      mgaretz commented
      Editing a comment
      Not likely. The wife loves tri-tip, bacon and fat, not so much.

Hello Death. I have actually said that before, but I digress. I have bacon in the freezer from 4 months ago. I just thawed it and it is perfectly fine. I froze mine in vacuum, (Foodsaver), but I do it in 2 lb pieces. You can partially thaw it and then slice it, (works better on the slicer), or just slice with a knife. Hopefully, without everybody throwing rubber chickens at me, I would feel perfectly fine using this method for bacon in the freezer up to 6 months. Pork fat tends to go south the longer it is frozen. If you are not vacuum packing it before the freeze, I wouldn't wait too long before using it, say 30-60 days.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      I've used frozen vacuum packed bacon that was lost in freezer for well over 6 months. It was just fine! The fat is cured under vacuum and frozen It will last a very long time.

This is good to know, as I'm going to be smoking my own bacon in a couple of weeks. I'll note that the vacuum sealer is one of the best tools I've purchased over the decades for my kitchen! My favorite thing to do is cook more bacon than I need for feeding the family, then take any leftover cooked bacon and vacuum-seal those and freeze them! Whenever wifey needs bacon trimmings for a casarole or some such, BAM. Instant bacon, ready to rock.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      You bet. I don't make bacon for immediate eating (except a bit), but for having it around.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here