Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fat amount?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fat amount?

I bought a couple of pork butts yesterday which had very little fat on the outside, and doesn't appear to have much interior fat either - at least as far as I can tell.
    This brought up the question about how much fat is best on a butt to smoke. What are some thoughts on picking out a butt with a lot or a little amount of fat?

With most of the butts i cook, I try to trim most of the exterior fat for better rub application/bark and less removal of fatty pieces during pulling. There's usually more fat inside than what shows along the exterior that will render just fine during the cooking process.

Comment

I agree with edible hen. Pork butts are fatty enough inside to make for tender juicy meat. Don't worry about the fat cap being removed.

Comment

I agree with ^^^^^^ those guys

Comment

As the guys mentioned above, some folks trim as much as they can for maximum bark opportunity. Depending on what cooker or smoker I am using, I tend to leave a thin layer of the fat cap on to act as a heat shield or barrier (not for rendering purposes).

Comment

So... so far the consensus of opinion is to buy the leanest butt available thus saving the need to trim and saving some green. Right?

Comment

• Dale Case
              Dale Case commented
              Editing a comment
              My family loves the bark, so I trim all the fat off I can. If you want the maximum bark then yes, finding the leanest/most pre-trimmed butts would save you time & $$ There is nothing like a smoky crusty tasty bark mixed into that beautiful pile of meats !!!

Well, the meat is pulled awaiting dinner. Total fat removed ( all from the interior ) was no more than a handful. Dale, you are right about the beauty and quantity of the bark. Yum! BTW the 7 lb butt came to IT of 205 in 4 hrs 50 min.

Comment

• Dale Case
              Dale Case commented
              Editing a comment
              Alllllllriiight !! Great to hear Gator !! Hope you guys enjoy your meal

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm curious as to what temp you were running to do a butt that size that fast. And of course we need pics. Please. Thanks Gator Lau

That was on your PBC, yes?

Comment

Dale, we did!

Hawker, Yes it was.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here