Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking of doing the Vermont Pig Candy this wknd, anything special I need to know?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking of doing the Vermont Pig Candy this wknd, anything special I need to know?

All I've ever done with ribs is Last Meal style: ribs, rub, sauce. Love 'em, it's what I think of when I think of BBQ. But since I am linked to Amazing Ribs through Facebook, and Meathead was using VPC as push content, and hey: who doesn't like trying something different?, I decided to get on board the VPC train through the fall foliage!

Looking through the recipe, I see two places for possible problems. The first one is the tight wrap of foil: ribs can poke through the wrap and I could lose the apple/rib juice mix that I will need for the glaze. Easy fix, use heavy duty foil and be careful.... The second is when heating and reducing the glaze, the risk that it could turn into hard candy: I've never worked with sugar syrups. How likely is that to happen?

Anything else? It looks pretty straightforward.

I have made them twice, now my Wife's favorite! I followed the directions as close as possible. I had no problem keeping the glaze from turning to hard candy. During the wrapped stage I did let the time cooking run long (both times, one more than the other) the longer cooking times made them fall off the bone tender, not so easy to caramelize the glaze in the hot grill at the end so be sure not to over due the wrapped times.

Comment

Let us know how it goes!

Comment

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        Weather is supposed to be pretty miserable Sunday, I might postpone it until next week. But who knows.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here