Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cambro Vs. Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cambro Vs. Oven

Is there any difference in the final quality of a pork butt whether after reaching 203 you: faux cambro 1-3 hours Vs. wrapping and putting in kitchen oven at 170 degrees for the same length of time? Using no liquid in the wrap in either case. Thanks, Jim Burgin

-

Bout the same. For butts I like the oven because you're pulling it, so it is nice to have a pretty high internal temperature to do that. But I have held in cambros ​with no problems whatsoever.

Comment

• Abom
      Abom commented
      Editing a comment
      He's not wrong, but I've had butts cooked to 203 in a cambro for many hours and they were still too hot to handle when I pulled them. Like butta.

+1 on what Jerod said.

Comment

If you're staying home either would be fine. If you're bringing the butt to someone else's home then obviously the cambro.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Oven in the back of the pick up with an ever extending extension chord.

• Abom
        Abom commented
        Editing a comment
        Pfff! get a generator! Amateurs...

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Jerod Broussard and Abom I actually have a solar powered transportable oven attached to the back of my truck. How about those apples. Huh. LOL

Or Tesla pwr.

Comment

I generally Cambro but I use the oven when needed. I don't think there is much of a difference

Comment

The biggest difference is that the Cambro temp will be very stable over several hours compared an oven ... in which temps can vary by as much as 30 deg. above and/or below the setpoint. Truthfully, I haven't used my faux cambro in a very long time ... except for storage of PBC accessories. The oven works just fine.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here