Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freezing Butts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freezing Butts

How well do raw butts freeze. My grocery store has them at $.99 / lb. Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	80
Size:	179.9 KB
ID:	225902

They unfreeze well in the fridge. ORRR cook them straight from frozen on your cooker! You'll want to have it brined and rubbed before that though. Meaning you dry brine it. Then rub it. Then freeze it for however long. The day you're ready to cook, put that bad boy on your cooker. Takes an hour extra. Taste is the same though.

Comment

I read the title and thought maybe it was about "Winter is Coming".

Comment

I have brined and rubbed before freezing. It works well. You can also freeze it in the cryo with no problems. Just make sure you take it out of the freezer days before your cook if you want it totally thawed out. If not, then you can throw it on right out of the freezer, but this will take some more fuel. (Obliviously)

Comment

It takes 4 days for a 10 lb pork butt to fully thaw out.

Comment

Snag that up, fill that freezer! $.99/lb BBQ is what we all hope for.

Comment

Great price. Stock up!!!

Comment

For meat that is going to be pulled, freezer to smoker works really well. I do the same thing that scottranda said. I rub and inject then vacuum pack. I then pull it out of the freezer, put it in cold water to thaw the outside only and put it in the smoker. I start with a higher temp to start out of fear of bacteria, only. I don't have any science to back that up. Then I lower the temp to my regular smoking temp and go about my Q'ing. You can't beat that price and I honestly believe you will enjoy the results.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here