Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you rub your butt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you rub your butt?

LOL

Just looking for something new to rub my pork shoulder with this weekend.

Thanks

I use Pit Barrel Cooker All-Purpose rub. I order 5 pounds at a time. I put it on 3 days before if I have time. Sometimes I add a white sugar/brown sugar mixture when I wrap, whenever that may be. Nobody misses the sugar if I forget.

Comment

A bunch of non-family friendly answers flashed through my mine when I read your title, butt let me just say that I try to dry brine several days in advance, then rub with MMD before placing on the grill.

Comment

I was a Sam's Club the other day, I found some Weber's "KC BBQ RUB", I used it for a couple of butts I did this weekend, just put it on with nothing else a day in advance. Everybody loved it, me included. I am going back to get more.

Comment

I have a relative that has a garlic allergy so last time I did butts I made one with just kosher salt and pepper. Added both the night before and wrapped in plastic wrap in the fridge overnight. I did others with MMD and Pit Barrel Beef and Game. Some guests liked the salt and pepper butt the best. Made pulled pork sandwiches with onion and a little BBQ sauce, and I have to say, the S&P rub made a darn good sandwich!

Comment

Learn to make your own. My wife is an avid gardener and she grows several kinds of peppers for me. At harvest time I will smoke most of them for about 10 hrs, finish drying them in a dehydrator then grind them into powders to use in my rub. I was pleasantly surprised to find that my rub is very similar to Meatheads cow bark, with a few twists to make it my own. The best parts about making your own is that you can control the proportions to your tastes, i.e. saltiness (or no salt if you dry brine) or spiciness/heat. Bon appetit!

Comment

I've been getting lazy lately, and found that McCormick's Sweet & Smokey is virtually identical to what I make so I've been using that for ribs and butts.

Comment

Memphis dust, and with my hands.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
                  Danjohnston949 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  CurlingDog, Do You have to Keep One Foot in the Hack?
                  From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Dry brine overnight and MMMD just prior to putting in smoker. No mustard, oil, or water used prior to adding rub.

Comment

I love to use Head Country. Its great stuff. Very well balanced. https://www.headcountry.com/champion...oning/original

Comment

Chris Lilly's Big Bob Gibson's recipe. I usually mix up that and the injection. Turns out some consistently good Q event if you have to do it right before putting it on. Usually save a little to sprinkle in after I pull it too.

Comment

Generally speaking, with the paper on the roll.

Comment

• EdF
                        EdF commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I was going to say it, but I'm glad you did first!

I mix ~ half & half PBC All Purpose Rub and PBC Beef and Game Rub

Comment

• Bob's BBQ
                        Bob's BBQ commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hey Gator I'll have to try this. I like them both for different reasons - never thought of mixing them.

Very carefully

Comment

ssandy_561, I use a Homemade Concoction I call Dan's Damned Good BBQ Rub! You should be able to find it on the Home Page of the Pit under Rubs and Marinades!
                        Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here