Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st time makin bacon advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st time makin bacon advice please

I found pork bellies at Costco for $2.45/lb. The butcher said they run from 7-9 lbs each. Meathead's recipe is for 1 pound portions. So if I get an 8 pound slab, and want 2 pounds per zipper bag, would I cut it with or across the grain? Do I want skinny slabs with long strips of bacon, or wide slabs with short slices of bacon? What works for you guys?

I've done it both ways, but now I cut it into 4 pieces with two perpendicular cuts: the short way and the long way. Long strips of bacon like you get in the store are nice, I guess, but I had to cut those long pieces in half anyway to fit my slicer. And I find the shorter slices more handy, fit in the pan, fit on a sandwich. Be sure to multiply the cure amount by the weight of your pieces; a little extra doesn't hurt. Good Luck & good eating.

Comment

Just get bigger bags, I buy 5 bellies at a time and cut them in half to make ten slabs, I use the 2.5 gallon freezer bags for curing.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
        HorseDoctor commented
        Editing a comment
        Me too! Half a belly fits a 2 gallon ziplock like a glove. After curing & smoking, I cut them in half again to fit my slicer (and BLT sandwiches) better.

Either way works

Comment

Thank you all for your speedy responses. I'll study the slab when I get it, then prolly just quarter it and go from there. I'm excited... gonna be fun!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here