Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pig roast help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pig roast help!

Hey all!

I think this is actually my first post here on the Forum, and I'm hoping that its in the right discussion board. Anyway, I'm a teacher and I"m going to be cooking a whole pig (on a spit) for our school's homecoming tailgate. Now I'm done about 20 or so Pig roasts in my day so I'm not exactly new to the experience, however, I've never done it away from home. I"ll be next to the football field with access to electricity and a water hose.

I guess what I'm asking for is what do I need? I made a list of things that I need to bring to the cook out, but I'm afraid I'm missing something. Mind helping me fill in any holes I may have in the list? (I'm only responsible for the pig and not buns or sauces, etc.)

Thanks all!

Hardware:
    • Cooker
    • Portable Grill and
    • Tables
    • Plastic
    • Wooden (For Cutting)
    • Knives
      • Cleaver
      • Boning knives
    • Paper Towels
    • Disinfectant
    • Short Shovel
    • Charcoal
    • Galvanized bucket (for ashes)
    • Aluminum Serving Trays
    • Cooking mitts
    • Pitt mitts
    • Silicon Mitts
    • Bus Tubs
    • Thermometer
    • Extension Cords
    • Lighter fluid
    • Bucket
    • Drill
    • Saber saw
    • Torch? Or lighter
    • Serving gloves
    • Aluminum Foil
    • Serving tongs

Welcome DanVergo I've never smoke a whole hog but your list looks good

Comment

• DanVergo
      DanVergo commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! We do it a little differently than most. Skin off, tons of salt, garlic, and apple juice. Pretty good combo.

Any wood chunks?

Comment

There's also a list of things needed here: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porkn...g_picking.html

Comment

I see lighter fluid on your list. I hope your not letting that stuff anywhere near your cook. You'd be much better off using a chimney starter to light your coals. That way there is no chance of having the lighter fluid flavor attacking your hog.

The link is the AR link.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
          HorseDoctor commented
          Editing a comment
          Or use your torch.

Any chance at flare ups with your cooker? Garden sprayer (new) with water might be handy. Bear claws if you cook to "pullable". Serving tongs. If skin off, you probably don't have head on so no need for foil for the ears, apple for mouth or grapes for the eyes. Have you ever done skin on? Really works great! Skin on make the whole thing self basting! Most of all, have fun! Whole hog is an awesome cook!

Comment

• DanVergo
          DanVergo commented
          Editing a comment
          We found that without skin we can get more seasoning on it. I've done it with the skin on and I definitely prefer the skin off. We just spray with with apple juice every 30-60 minutes.

Thanks for all the comments so far, guys. I was bringing the fluid as a last ditch, just in case scenario. My dad taught me how to cook those magical little animals and he always used lighter fluid, so that's how I started. But I can't believe I didn't put my chimney on there. DUH!!

Also, I've never used wood for it, again, it goes along with that idea that my dad never used it so I don't.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here