Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would you tell someone to butcher a pig so that you'd end up with two pork butts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How would you tell someone to butcher a pig so that you'd end up with two pork butts?

I have been unable to find pork butts anywhere. I found a single Taobao seller who sold pork butts imported from Oregon, but they say they don't have any more. However, I have found a local seller who can butcher whole pigs. So, my question is, how can I explain to this person how to cut a pig the right way so as to end up with two pork butts (one left shoulder, one right shoulder). My big barbecue is coming up Sunday and it's time to cut the pig up into pieces. Video would be the best, although a photo by photo sequence would probably be OK as well. Remember: Chinese people are super at copying, and not so great with coming up with things on their own.

I know from previous experiences trying to purchase beef cuts, that this country has totally different ideas about how to cut up a cow. Things we take for granted like "tri-tip" or "brisket" or "baby back ribs" don't exist because they use that part of the animal in a completely different way. Please don't assume any pre-existing knowledge.

Originally posted by Lost in China View Post
    Remember: Chinese people are super at copying, and not so great with coming up with things on their own.
    that is my favorite part. sorry i can't help you though

Comment

Google "how to butcher a pig". Choose a good article (preferably illustrated) from the more than 3 million hits you'll get. Print it out and take it to your butcher. Translate the article while pointing to the appropriate pictures.

Comment

It'd be cool to hear from you how different ways the Chinese use different parts of the animal. Give us a cultural lesson

Comment

I don't think I want to know what they do scottranda...

Comment

RonB I'm fascinated by other cultures. I sound like I don't come from Powhatan, do I? 😃

Comment

At least we're talking about a pig.

Comment

Watch this. At about 3:15 you can see the money muscle. I bet this will help you tell them where and how to cut. It shows you exactly how to do it. Great video actually.

I would not mess with her. Watch her with that knife........... Anyone ever seen the movie, Serial Mom?

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Super interesting and informative video.

And, no, thank you; I would not want to be involved in any sort of Fatal Attraction scenario with any woman who is that gifted and clever with such an obviously sharp knife.

ymmv!

Lost in China, The "Commen" Term Used to be You Want the Front Half of the Hog! This would give you both the Left and RT Shoulders (Butts), the Ribs, Left and RT, depending on your cutting preferences you could have Roasts or Pork Steak, Hocks and Sausage! You need to be very specific on your cutting instructions! Hope this helps you!
                Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Thanks to everyone with helpful comments. Spinaker nice video, just what I was looking for. I wasn't able to find a whole pig so I'm just getting a cut. Evidently pork tenderloin is the same cut the world 'round, and I'm getting two instead of the pork butt I wanted. I can probably line it up for next week though. My girlfriend is getting the pork loin through her work, evidently they have a meat supplier for their dining hall. I can try to ask the guy to carve me his next pig special.

The next problem is how to download the video from youtube, as of course it's blocked here so I'll need the offline video if I'm going to show him. I used to use a browser plugin for this purpose, but it seems as youtube.com has switched to https for all traffic, that little hack isn't possible any longer. Anyway, I have two tenderloins scheduled for tomorrow morning pickup and I'll be using the Pork Loin Roast recipe with stuffing and piccata sauce. The party starts at 3pm and tomorrow should be a gorgeous day with a high of 82 and clear skies. It's going to be great!

Comment

• Lost in China
                    Lost in China commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Got the video, cut it to the important part, and gave it to gf to show the meat seller. Will post the results when it happens!

The pork loins arrived. Rather bigger than I expected! But the unreliable jerks that live around here cancelled on me, so no BBQ on Sunday. I put them in the freezer for next week. I'll try inviting locals, not foreigners, and see if I get a better turnout. I'm still working on the pork butt, inquiries are being made of a local farmer and the video will be sent to him. Thanks to the helpful people again!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160925_175644.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	224752

Name:	IMG_20160925_175630.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	224753

And the seller included a bit of chef's bonus: what looks to be a double or triple thick boneless pork chop! I didn't put that in the freezer, I'm cooking it for myself tomorrow night.

Name:	IMG_20160925_175748.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	224755

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here