Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestion for smoking extra meaty baby backs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestion for smoking extra meaty baby backs

I smoked three racks of Swift Premium baby back ribs I purchased at Costco yesterday. One reason I like Costco's baby backs is that they are usually very meaty, with plenty of loin meat on the ribs. I had dry-brined the ribs for about 6 hours prior to applying my rub and starting the cook. I use a Smoke Vault 24, running at my usual ~250 F. Met the bend test after about five hours when I glazed and finished the ribs for a few minutes at high heat. I've followed this script many times with great results.

The thing I noticed about this cook was while most of the ribs were excellent - moist with great texture, the extra thick loin meat on the ends of the racks was much dryer than normal. The flavor was good, and they weren't too tough, but I was disappointed with the loss of moisture.

My question is if anyone has a suggestion for how to avoid having the thick loin meat dry out when I do these kinds of baby backs? Should I cook hotter for a shorter time? Cooler and longer? I prefer not to wrap baby backs to get the texture I like, but is that a way retain moisture in the thick loin meat?

Thanks for any suggestions.
    Last edited by theroc; September 5, 2016, 03:53 PM.

Perhaps try crutching the next time for an hour at the end?

Comment

• theroc
      theroc commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I think this will be worth a try.

If they're really meaty, injection?

Comment

• theroc
      theroc commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting! Hadn't thought of trying this. There was a good 1-1.5 inches of meat on the meaty ends. Might be fun to try.

Loin meat is lean and when I get baby backs that has thick loin meat on one end I will trim it off to make the ribs more uniform so the ribs can cook more evenly from one end to the other.

Comment

• boftx
      boftx commented
      Editing a comment
      No to mention that those trimmings, plus the skirt, are excellent snacks for the cook while waiting for the final product to be ready.

I fillet mine down to be uniform across. That extra loin meat just dries as the rest is delishifying. Sauce, wrapping, filleting, any of the above should help. Lately I've begun skipping right over the baby backs if they're not 2.75lbs/rack or under.

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
      PaulstheRibList commented
      Editing a comment
      I knew you would have a good answer for him!

• Bob's BBQ
      Bob's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm with Huskee on this one - always get the "skinny" ribs.

I noticed this on my last cook and was wondering about it as well; The Pit in action, working beyond the surface!

Comment

I had this same issue yesterday. For me, the thick loin meat made the rib rack seem tight like it wasn't done enough. It wasn't "relaxed" enough. The result was that I overcooked them and they were pretty dry...especially the loin meat. I like the idea of removing that meat!

Comment

I quite buying "baby backs". They can't get a good price for loin meat so they leave more of it on the ribs and get more $/lb. for it. If I want loin meat, I can get the whole loin for less than $2/lb. most anywhere. When I want pork ribs, I'll stick with buying full racks of spares (at a better price).

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          You got that right... Butchers working to increase profit margins. I don't hold making more money against them, but if you know their tricks you can buy what you're looking for.

Thanks for all the feedback! I may have to change my buying strategy for baby backs going for skinny ribs, or try trimming off the loin meet for other uses. BTW - BB's aren't my favorite either, I much prefer full cut spare ribs. But my wife likes them better, so we have to trade off!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here