Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody try pork "Rib Tips"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody try pork "Rib Tips"?

I couldn't pass up a 10 pound box of pork rib tips for 15 bucks. According to Meathead's pork cuts page on main site, they're what's left over when the butcher turns spareribs into St.Louis cut. Anyway, since they were hidden in a box, I had some concern as to what I would get. After thawing though, they don't look bad. Hopefully, it will quit raining long enough for a test cook over the weekend. Attached are a couple of pics . . . more to come.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8734.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	216825

Name:	IMG_8739.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	225.3 KB
ID:	216826

I always eat these. They cook relatively quick - probably 4 hours or less, and they're delicious. Just not as "presentable" as regular racks. Great stuff!

Comment

I just pulled a bag of leftovers out of the freezer for dinner tonight. I normally dont trim the tips off, but they fit in the warthog for small batch cooks better that way.

Comment

Smoked some of the smaller pieces of the "rib tips" yesterday. Dry brined overnight then rubbed with MMD and smoked at 225F for about 5 hours. Used cherry chunks in the mini WSM. Pics show the result. Flavor and meatiness were excellent, tenderness and moistness were OK, plate appeal not so much. These are great for family dinner, probably not so good to impress company.

I'm thinking they will be great in feijoada, or some other bean and smoked meat based stew type dish. If I try feijoada, I'll report.

Name:	smoking1.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	217395

Name:	Cut-up.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	217396

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here