This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you are a member you must log in now. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.


No announcement yet.

I salute Meathead once again!!!!

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    OK so here goes. Did my turkey on Saturday. Had some issues with the Maverick ET-733. The transmitter was working fine, I had set both probes into the turkey, one in the breast, one in the thigh. temps were about 3 to 5 degrees apart for most of the cooking time. Don't know whether it was the fact that I didn't factor in the wind, or the outside temp, but this turkey seemed to take much longer to cook. Put the bird in at 1:00pm and it had reached about 160F by 7:00pm.

    At that point I just decided to put it into the oven for the last 15-20 minutes to finish it off. Everyone was getting hungry and cranky too.

    Brined the bird from Thursday morning to Friday night and then rinsed it well, and put it back into a pot of cold water and then back in the fridge until it was time to get it ready for the smoker.

    Melted some butter and used the injector to butter ball the breasts. Oiled the skin up and then liberally coated the turkey with the Memphis Dust/Apple wood Rub (Grill Mates out of the US). Cut up a large orange and put 4 wedges into the cavity. At this point I lost my mind and forgot to take any more pictures.

    It was a fairly cool day here 12 to 14 degrees Celcius, and the wind started to pick up as the afternoon progressed. So combined with the weather and the fact that my unit has only a 500W element, that's what caused the time delay.

    Attached are some pictures of the cook. The bird tasted fantastic, so I'll just have to come up with some method of keeping the heat in a little better. But that's another post in and of itself.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Turkey-in-the-pot.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	26046Click image for larger version

Name:	brined-and-ready-for-fridge.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	230.6 KB
ID:	26048Click image for larger version

Name:	turkey-out-of-the-smoker.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	26049
    Attached Files


      Cad, great write up on your turkey. Would you do a full brine again? I have never done one and am curious if it is worth the effort. I lost my mind years ago and have been looking for it since. No big deal you will do fine. I hope to do one more turkey before Thanksgiving and have a good feel for doing the one on then.


      • cadmentr
        cadmentr commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes I'd do a full brine again, but would cut back on the salt just a little. My friends recipe called for 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup salt per liter of water, plus the spices. I actually did the ratio at a per liter per kilo, so the turkey weighed in at 7.575 kilos or about 16.69 pounds. So I used 7.5 liters of water and multiplied the salt/sugar by the same 7.5 times. I used about 2 tbsp. each of the spices except cut back on the red pepper flakes as I was serving the turkey to the grandkids.
        I'll post the brine recipe that I have tonight on this thread if you're interested.

      Cad, I am interested in your recipe. The brine you kept in the fridge for all that time?



      No announcement yet.