Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tale of Two Ribb(ies)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tale of Two Ribb(ies)

This past weekend I tried something different, well a few things different...

Just remember I am still green at this smoking thing and making plenty of mistakes but I love constructive criticism.

14.5" WSM
    2 full racks of St Louis Ribs
    5 chicken thighs
    KBB briquettes and mesquite wood chunks in the Soo (sp?) donut.
    and apple pie moonshine from Copper Run Distillery

1st was I took 1 full rack of ribs and marinaded them the day before, and put the covered in the fridge.
    The other rack was left untouched till the next morning when I took them out and seasoned them up.
    I left both racks in the fridge uncovered for about 1 1/2 hours. Basically the time it took to set up the smoker, my new Maverick ET732, and get the coals running.

2nd thing I tried new was no water in the water bowl. I wanted to try to get a better bark on the ribs.

3rd I was not going to crutch them this time, just letting them bask in their nakedness

4th was adding the chicken in the smoker closer to the end when the ribs were closer to be done. (more on that later)

So here is my story....
    I got the set up done, so far so good. Got the ribs on had both probes set up, the grill one was attached to the grill, the Food probe was just free hanging between the first rack and the second. Since I have been reading that probing ribs is sort of fruitless depending on who you ask. Interesting that the 2 probes were only a few inches apart but the difference between them at times was 10 degrees.

Now the next issue I noticed was that the temp skyrocketed on me. I had only 1 vent open 1/8 (not even a quarter) and noticed a few spots that smoke was escaping so I double checked everything was aligned correctly. I finally got it to even out mostly but noticed that my temps still spiked from time to time and I was running over 260 so I gave in and put a cup of water in the water pan to help bring it down a bit. that worked. but I kept watching the monitor and it would drop down to 180 then back up to 220, but it was slowly doing this yo-yo so I just let it run its course and figured the meat would tell me when it was done. At the 3 hour mark I flipped the ribs over (started with bone side down), so now meat side down and bones up. I stoked the ashes a little not much, just a touch or two. Then let them sit, now I get to the 5 hour mark pull out my rib rack and get get all the ribs set up. I had chicken legs from HEB (local grocery store) and they already dusted them with their seasoning so I had them in the fridge uncovered for about 5 hours and out on the counter for about 1 hour. I put them in on the bottom rack of the smoker, inserted the food probe into the chicken, and put the ribs on the top rack (no raw chicken juice dripping on my ribs!). I added 3 medium to small size chunks of mesquite wood and buttoned the hatch and let her rip. I let it all go for the next 1 1/2 hours and the ribs were done, chicken checked in with IT at 160. So I pulled the ribs, brought them inside to rest, and through the charcoal from the smoker into my 22" kettle, put the chicken on and cooked on both sides for about 10 minutes each. Gave it a nice look, and got IT up on all of them to 180 or higher.

I know I made a few mistakes playing with the vents, but I waited about 5-10 minutes between each move to make sure I was able to see the effect. So I hope it wasn't that bad. Also I keep forgetting to keep my journal and didn't keep count of the number of briquettes used. That will be remedied on the next cook.

AND NOW THE PICTURES...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160828_190822357.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	216220

Name:	IMG_20160828_190827456.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	216221

Name:	IMG_20160828_190840081.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	216223

And here is a kicker...

After my first smoke, I brought the ribs in and left them on the counter to go back out and close up the smoker clean it and turn the coals off. When I got back in after about 5 minutes I saw this...

Name:	IMG_20160103_185236987.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	216225

And my son is a picky eater so this was unexpected. Before I could get him away he devoured about 3-4 ribs. So now I know when I bring in the ribs i have to put them in the oven so he cant get to them.
    Attached Files

Well, I guess your son is the kind of measuring device you want to have around!

Comment

Oh and to add a bit extra, the chicken skin was a bit rubbery, but underneath was nice and juicy and flavorful. What chicken we didn't get around to eating, we pulled and added to Gumbo last night, and the puppies had a little extra treat as well.

Gumbo was made with shrimp, and the chicken added a ton of flavor to the dish. Was thinking I should try smoking shrimp somehow and next time only adding smoked meats to the gumbo....

Comment

That's a good looking cook, and da kid is the final judge.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here