Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Max time for a wet cure ham? And other questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Max time for a wet cure ham? And other questions...

I am curing a fresh ham (~20#) according to the recipe herein. You state "...at least 7 days" (& it was well injected, FYI). But due to daily-life-stuff, tomorrow night marks 14 days. And I'd really like to actually wait until Sat (8/3) to do the smoking, but that will make 18 days submerged. Is that ok? Or must I get it on the smoker ASAP?

And along those lines, you also state a 145 finish temp IF it's going to be eaten when finished. If not, you say take it to 165, and it will be good for up to 2 weeks (...when reheated to 145). So if I cook to 145, enjoy some, and then refrigerate ('cause it's a big ham), can't I reheat & reserve all the same? I guess I'm confused about the difference the initial finishing temp makes, and why I'd choose one versus the other.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome szcinski

Comment

My take (and I'm not super-expert at home cured ham, though I've done a few) is that it's going to be a bit on the salty side. Did you use Instacure or something like that? If not, I'd go to 165, as it will further pasteurize the ham for storage. It'll be drier than it would have been at 145, but why take chances?

Comment

Thank you...& I did use Praque 1, along with the kosher salt.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm not going to pretend to more expertise than I have. It's been a while, and my notes are buried. But ... I'd be inclined towards the 160.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here