Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting (and good) Rib Cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting (and good) Rib Cook

Smoked two racks of ribs today. 22" kettle, SnS, KBB, apple chunks. The grocery store butcher only had one rack of fresh baby backs left in the case. That rack was 3.25 lbs at $5.25/lb. I wanted two racks. He pulled a Swift Premium cryovac rack from the regular meat case. It was 2.5 lbs at $2.69/lb. Butcher opened the cryovac, pulled the membrane for me and wrapped in butcher paper.

The fresh and more expensive rack was meatier; however, there was no difference in taste or texture between the two racks. First time I have smoked a cryovac rack so this was an interesting unexpected experiment. Picture below is a bone from each rack (sorry about the upside down pic--not sure why it flipped when I uploaded).. Can you tell which one is which?

Also need to put in a plug for the SnS. A dozen KBB briquettes ashed over, full chimney unlit, apple chunks. Lower vent cracked, top vents 1/4 open. Held 225-235 for a 3.5 hr cook. When racks passed bend test only half the briquettes had burned. The only time I had to make an adjustment was to clear some ash that blocked the bottom vent.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	133
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	214973

They both look good. I think the bone on top is the fresh one.

Comment

• Reds Fan 5
      Reds Fan 5 commented
      Editing a comment
      You are correct!

You got a 3.25lb rack of baby backs to the bend test in 3.5hrs? WOW! I'm nothing short of 7hrs for a rack that size at that temp. They look wonderful!

Comment

• Reds Fan 5
      Reds Fan 5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee, I was running closer to 235 most of the cook. Two racks are a tight fit on my 22" so the 3lb rack was as close to the SnS as it could be without overlapping the water reservoir. I suspect that's why it cooked so fast. Unless of course I don't understand the bend test.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Reds Fan 5 It could very well have been getting quite a bit more heat, especially since thick loin backs are, well, thicker, and the higher up off the grate the higher the temp gets. Either way, great job.

• Reds Fan 5
      Reds Fan 5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Huskee. My grate probe was also barely two inches from the meat (among the many reasons a 26" is on the horizon) so I may have been running even hotter than 235. The family loved the ribs so hot or not, bend or not, I'll consider it a successful cook.

Nice! Reds Fan 5

Comment

Great looking ribs! You'll love the 26" Kettle.

Comment

Reds Fan 5, Great Looking Ribs! What ever you think you are doing Wrong? I don't think I would spend a Great Deal of Time Trying to Correct It!
        Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• Reds Fan 5
          Reds Fan 5 commented
          Editing a comment
          @Danjohnston494, thanks! I don't think I did anything wrong. They were good. Was just intrigued by cooking two different kinds of racks. Had never cooked cryovac before. Taste and texture were the same as the "fresh" ribs.

Good info, great looking cook!

Wegman's ribs are all cryovac, and I think they are excellent. I ordered spares from SRF, and I prefer the ones I get locally.

Comment

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          SRF is great for beef, not so much for ribs. The regular spares are the size of baby backs, and have very little meat on them and quite a few shiners. Don't bother.

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey @Mocsa I was just looking into getting some ribs from SRF. I'm glad I saw your post. I'm going to try my local butcher who I like. The ribs are about $9.00 a lb. so I'll see if they are any better than the cryovac ones I've gotten in the past. Thanks for the info about SRF and there ribs.

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          Good choice Steve B . I've had good success with the regular cryovacs I get at Wegman's. Ribs are the only SRF product I didn't like. Not that they didn't taste good, but when you order a luxury product you should feel that you got something exceptional, and I didn't feel that way.

Those look great. I get the Premium Swift ribs from time to time and they're always good.

Comment

• Reds Fan 5
          Reds Fan 5 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, Bob's BBQ. The Swift were good if a touch lean. Nice of the butcher to trim them for me.

Reds Fan 5 Hey, you're in Chicagoland, do you ever make rib tips? If so, can you talk about your method?

Comment

• Reds Fan 5
          Reds Fan 5 commented
          Editing a comment
          Mosca, I have not made rib tips. I bet someone in this pit has, though!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here