Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Experimental Stuffed Chops Realized

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Experimental Stuffed Chops Realized

Based on a conversation the other day, I came up with this.

I took a pork loin, dry-brined overnight, then injected with apple juice with a touch of balsamic vinegar. I then cut pockets every inch and a half or so (about the width of a slice of bacon) in it. I grilled some pineapple rings and placed half a ring in each pocket. Sprinkled some rub on it, then wrapped with bacon slices over the pockets and put it in the smoke.

While that was in the smoker I added more coals to the grill and placed two very large baking potatoes on the upper rack. Once they were done I cut them in half lengthwise and scooped them out. That got mashed up with some whipped cream cheese, horseradish sauce, paprika, garlic salt, ground basil (was out of dill weed), and Monterey Steak Seasoning. That mixture was put back in the skins and then place off to the side on the lower grate of the grill. I put some corn in the husks on the upper rack.

When the pork was at about 140F - 145F I pulled it from the smoke, sliced it between the pockets, and grilled the resulting chops along with the corn directly over the coals for a few minutes to finish it off.

Here are the results:

Well, I would be happy to post photos but that seems to be foobar, AGAIN! Says that the contents of the files don't match the extension, which is ".jpg". What the ....?

EDIT: Trying again after rotating 360 degrees.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20160827_142356.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	214418 Click image for larger version

Name:	20160827_142952.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	214419 Click image for larger version

Name:	20160827_142335.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	214420 Click image for larger version

Name:	20160827_143342 copy.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	362.7 KB
ID:	214421 Click image for larger version

Name:	20160827_180351_a.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	214422 Click image for larger version

Name:	20160827_181458_a.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	247.2 KB
ID:	214423
    Last edited by boftx; August 27, 2016, 08:20 PM.

Just make a tiny edit to the photos, brightness, small crop, etc, and resave, then upload the newly-saved ones. That seems to fix that strange picture bug.

Comment

• boftx
      boftx commented
      Editing a comment
      I got most of them, but still had to jump through hoops. This sucks! I know it is not your fault, but if posting pics is this hard, it is NOT going to appeal to users. This should be a HIGH priority to fix.
      Last edited by boftx; August 27, 2016, 08:54 PM.

Sounds delicious but..... it didn't happen if you can't post those pics.... lol

Comment

• boftx
      boftx commented
      Editing a comment
      Pics are up now. That is a bug that has to be fixed.

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      boftx , Never any doubt lol.... that all looks delicious by the way! kudos

• boftx
      boftx commented
      Editing a comment
      I was very happy with the flavor profiles. The execution can use some practice. Whipped cream cheese and horseradish sauce is decidedly something that will go in my grab bag, as will apple juice and balsamic vinegar.

Looks pretty tasty boftx

Comment

Looks delicious, would love to try it just have to make it when wife not home she won't eat pineapple. Weird woman

Comment

• boftx
        boftx commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm pretty sure that you could almost any fruit and it would turn out good. Apple slices would be just as good without a doubt. What I was going for was contrasting flavors between the injection and what it was stuffed with.

Great idea! Everything looks delicious!

Comment

Great looking cook, I will have to try that. I agree with the picture posting issue, it needs to be fixed. I would post more pics but when you have to edit 50 to 60 percent of the pics it really a hassle.

Comment

Sounds and looks great! Thanks for sharing your technique. I've bookmarked this page to remind me to give it a try.

Comment

• boftx
            boftx commented
            Editing a comment
            Like I said, execution needs some practice, but the flavor profiles were there. I forgot to add some cinnamon to the injection, and I think I would brush some of the injection onto the meat while grilling. Also, I would add butter to the potato stuffing.

• fuzzydaddy
            fuzzydaddy commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks boftx. My wife isn't a fan of pork loin, including stuffed and bacon wrapped. Maybe this will sway her.

Thank you for posting. I may have to try this someday.

Comment

boftx, You need to set up a Roadside Pit! That Cook looks Great! It is Plain Criminal Not to Share with Us!
            Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• boftx
              boftx commented
              Editing a comment
              That's on the bucket list!

Swine on swine crime is always the answer.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here