Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork cooked over direct coals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork cooked over direct coals

We all know and love the indirect method for low-n-slow cooks, but from what I've seen/read, some the south east US region cooks butts/shoulders directly (but not too close) over coals. Fires are built outside the pit and burned into coals that are distributed underneath the cooking meat. The pork drippings hitting the coals produces pork love magic that sizzles, wafts up and enhances the flavor of the meat. Sounds good to me!

So...how do we do that with our grills/smokers? What grill/smoker works best for this style, and has anyone done it?

The Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC) does this very thing! It's not quite "direct" heat cooking, since there's ample space in there, and that air space provides somewhat of a buffer or barrier from the direct heat, vs close contact such as when searing.

Comment

• Stevo
      Stevo commented
      Editing a comment
      you're right Huskee! Hmm...maybe its time for a new toy?

I've never done it like it this but in terms of its "fat-giving-ness" and your description of "butts/shoulders directly (but not too close) over coals" it would seem that a Caja China (aka Chinese Box, Cuban Microwave) embraces this concept. I have heard from friends that the results are fantastic. Plus the good thing is that they come in different sizes and are priced "enticingly"close to have an excuse to go and get one for Labor Day.

Hmmm. Note to self, "Find a CC on CL."

Comment

Many years ago (1960s and 1970s) my grandfather and father cooked pork shoulders over coals. If my memory is good, there was about 12 inches between the coals and the meat. They had a process they'd developed and knew how many coals to add and how to spread them out to not burn the meat. They covered the meat with a piece of metal roofing. As a kid I would get a piece of the crispy fat near the end of the cook. They had a cast iron stove to burn the logs in, down to coals. It required a lot of attention and they made some great smoked meat that they usually sold.

They build a rectangle out of concrete and embedded the stove in it, except for the top pipe and the front. The coals would be shoveled from the stove onto the top concrete surface. The meat racks were elevated above that, though I don't recall what they used to elevate them.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here