Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulled pork juices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulled pork juices

I've always smoked my pulled pork pulled pork for a few hours then put the pork in an aluminum pan to save juices. Then I separate fat out and put in my pork after pulling.
    ​​​Meathead book says not to put in pan....I assume to get more bark....but do you lose all the juices?

You can put a pan under the cooking grate. Add a bit of water to keep the drippings from drying out. If you want to put pork in a pan, use a roast holder or something similar to keep the meat out of the juices. My unconfirmed thought though is that the pan would interrupt the air and smoke flow around the meat and affect the taste. That's why I put the pan on the charcoal grate under the meat.

Comment

• vwskirch
      vwskirch commented
      Editing a comment
      I've done it many times and it never seems to effect cooking....but I like your idea and will try that thanks

• richinlbrg
      richinlbrg commented
      Editing a comment
      Based on other threads (likely having to do with turkey), I think you want the bottom of your roast to be above the top of the pan, so putting the pan on the grate below should work. Better air circulation that way.

Welcome vwskirch
    Last edited by DWCowles; August 6, 2016, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Welcome aboard skirch! Enjoy the ride! As far as the juices go, the answer is si.

Comment

vwskirch Welcome! You might want to consider changing your username to something other than your email for spam reasons. David Parrish could help with that. We'd love to get an intro from you over in the Introduce Yourself channel when you get a minute.

Comment

• vwskirch
          vwskirch commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes I can't quite figure out how to change name....thanks

@[email protected], Welcome to The Pit! You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ University! Attendance and Participation are Mandatory! You may as well Pay Up the Prof's are Great, as are the Deans like fuzzydaddy, Huskee, Jerod Broussard, CandySueQ, and the Provost David Parrish and of course the President and Head Knocker @Meathead!
        The members are Great as Well!
        Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Greetings and welcome to The Pit!

Comment

Welcome.

I reserve juices. As far as using a pan goes... I cook my pork butts fat cap down. I also make sure the cap is down if I use a pan. The juices are less likely to cause an issue with the bark this way. There are plenty of people that "boat" their meats and have no problem with it. I have personally gone from boating to just wrapping in foil once the internal temp hits 170-180. I'm still able to catch enough juice in the foil (just have to be careful wrapping, putting on the smoker, and taking off the smoker) to use in the pulled pork. Like you I also separate the fat.

Comment

vwskirch - Welcome. I have no idea what the "approved solution" is. I collect those juices separately and then, after I do the pulled pork shredding, decide whether my pile of pork "needs" some moisture. If it does, I have plenty and pitch what I don't "need". If it doesn't, pitch all the stuff in the aluminum pan. I make the call when I'm cleaning up and dividing the meat into freezable sizes.

Comment

Thanks for all the comments and welcomes...... I'd almost done and read for sandwiches

Comment

[email protected] Send a PM to David Parrish. Click on his name, then on "Private Message" and tell him what you need.

Comment

@[email protected] email me at [email protected] with your desired new username... and welcome to The Pit! We're glad you're here.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here